Forum get-togethers.

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: back to Japan

Post by Daniel »

Would be cool if you guys could take some pictures to post in the private forum area for those of us who can't make it. :)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Speaking of cosplay, when we went to Ueno Zoo on Saturday, I saw these two foreign chicks dressed up as Mario and Princess Peach, respectively. I wish I had taken their picture just to post it on the Net and have everyone laugh at them. "Oh, Japan is just like Disneyland! In fact, everyone cosplays and it's okay to do so because I saw it happen in an anime once! Everyday is like an anime con in Japan! Japan is super happy land number one, oooooh!" But no, I wasn't that quick to react. I just turned my head and said, "What the f----?"
BikeLover wrote:We still need to fix a meeting time and place, you never know some lurkers might show up.
Why not just to the left of the entrance to the Broadway Building?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

AnimeSennin wrote:Would be cool if you guys could take some pictures to post in the private forum area for those of us who can't make it. :)
I just want to note that it makes me laugh that this is the post that IMMEDIATELY follows (even if on another page) greg's weird Ueno fantasy story.
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Re: Forum get-togethers.

Post by Heibi »

Next time I go to Japan (next March April time frame) we'll have to have a gathering. I know Nakano Broadway pretty well. Can't wait to see the update station they were working on 5 months ago.
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

So many things to say about Man-Faye. I won't bore you with the expletives on how disgusting many non-Japanese cosplayers are. It seems to me that the Japanese cosplayers at least try to have a build close to the character they are portraying - even the cross dressing ones.
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

I'll have to scan in my photos from a Wonder Festival I went to back in the 90s. I love good cosplayers. I had eye contact with them. Something my friend Hiroaki mentioned. He said the little blue eyed, fair haired foreigner part of me drew their attention. He stood behind and took photos because of that.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

BikeLover wrote:Decided to stat a new topic just or general forum meetings(can be anywhere).

Maybe Daniel could be so nice to move the relevant posts(peoples description) from the "Back to Japan" thread.
This way all is kept neat and tidy.
I moved the posts and made this a sticky topic that we can use for meetups.

Being that some people might be sensitive about sharing info/pictures and such, I was wavering back and forth between making this public or private. In the end, I made this public, and made another private topic that can be used for sensitive stuff (if desired): http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=193.
greg

Post by greg »

Well, come along anyways. I'll buy you lunch. I vote for Ohsho, which is to the right to the entrance of the Broadway Building. Great ramen and gyoza.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Dave may or may not have access to the Net by now. I plan to be at the Nakano Broadway Building, just beside the entrance, at 11am wearing my T-shirt with a yellow light cycle from Tron, with my black-rimmed glasses and light brown hat. If we meet at 10am, we can play at the Namco Adores game center before everything else opens up. That's what I usually do when I get there early. Dave and his wife will be the ones with possible jet lag though, so it depends on them. He has my number, so we'll wait for him to contact me.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

I didn't make it to Tokyo today after all. I had bus tickets and I'd packed everything and was ready to go, but early in the morning, my daughter woke up with a fever and a cold. Since my wife worked today, I stayed home with the girl and took care of her. I cancelled the tickets and bought new ones. I will be boarding the bus tomorrow morning instead. EARLY tomorrow morning, like at 5:40am. Yipe. I'll arrive at Tokyo Station at 8am, since it takes just over 2 hours to get there by bus. It's rather convenient to get to Tokyo from where I live, and only 4,000 yen for a round trip.

But now I have to mail my cancelled bus tickets to JTB to get a refund, minus the 500 yen cancellation fee or so.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page