Anime Sols now open!

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Anime Sols now open!

Post by davemerrill »

I wish they would offer the entire show on disc, instead of just 13 episodes. I'd buy the whole show of Dear Brother in about two seconds.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:I wish they would offer the entire show on disc, instead of just 13 episodes. I'd buy the whole show of Dear Brother in about two seconds.
Yeeeeeeeeah, I do, too. I'm guessing they're breaking them up to keep people coming back for more? But since they're just starting out, I wanna try to help em out if I can. (Maybe once they're more on their feet they'll do bigger, better sets?)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:
Dezaki has done some great work. I'd love to see more, I think the only things I've seen are Rose of Versailles, Oniisama E, some of Astro Boy, Lupin....(checks) HOLY CRAP, he did RAINBOW BRITE?! XD Well, I saw that, too... :lol: Oh, he did Aim for the Ace! I've always wanted to see that one.
He also did The Professional: Golgo 13, and both the Space Adventure Cobra movie and TV series.

The guy's worked on the manliest of manime AND the shoujoest of shoujanime out there! And he's comfortable doing both. Very few anime directors can boast that kind of versatility.

Oh, and Golgo 13 also was the first anime to feature CGI (allegedly), but we don't need to go into how clumsy it was.

So yeah, he's one of those guys you look back on and say "Hey WAIT. Shouldn't this guy be celebrated more? LOOK AT ALL THIS CLASSIC EPOCHAL STUFF HE DID!"

And he had his own style too, so he wasn't just some journeyman with no distinctive artistic personality. Everything he directed, it felt like an Osamu Dezaki work.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I saw that, too! Crazy, man. I wonder why he isn't more celebrated also! That's such a wide variety of actually GOOD stuff!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Creamy Mami set 2 has started. There's not a lot of time for this one though, only 53 days left. Would suck if only 1 box set is released and that's it. This is the problem with breaking the show up like this.

Dear Brother seems to have stalled of late. It will need a big run at some point to get it done.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I agree--I think if they waited and only did funding for maybe 2 or 3 shows at a time, it'd probably work a lot better--and maybe doing the "part 2" of a season they already funded AFTER the first DVD's been released. (That would hype people up more for part 2, imo.)

Dear Brother started off really strong...I'm hoping that it'll pick up some more once the end comes closer, like it did with Mami and Blackjack. Dear Brother has a lot of fans, so I know they won't let it go without a fight.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I really think they should have waited till everyone had the first Creamy Mami in their hands before starting funding for the 2nd set, and with such a short time span too. :(
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:I really think they should have waited till everyone had the first Creamy Mami in their hands before starting funding for the 2nd set, and with such a short time span too. :(
Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying! I mean, I know they're excited to get more of it funded, yadda yadda, but I don't have the money for another box set that soon (as it is, I put it on my credit card, which I prolly shouldn't have :? ). It's gonna be really frustrating if the 1st part gets funded but the rest doesn't.