Have you abandoned physical media to watch your anime?

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Have you abandoned physical media to watch your anime?

Post by llj »

I'd also like to get in on some of that video game box give away too. SNES, Genesis, GBA. I WANT THEM
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:That's painful for me to think of, but I hope you are making use of these and not simply throwing them away. For example, BRE Software's http://videogameinstructionbooklets.com/ website sells just the box and manuals to so many games.

If you're throwing away any GBA games' boxes, just let me know first, ok? ;)
:( Unfortunately, I trashed all the GBA boxes earlier this year and also my anime DVD slipcases as it was taking up space. Also, PS and Saturn casing. I only kept the inserts and manuals....
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Oh, you SUCK! :lol: Just kidding. That's a shame, though. It reminds me of that old video game store chain/online retailer Funcoland. They must have had a policy of trashing all boxes and manuals, even for CD-based games like Saturn and Playstation. Because they were such a major retailer, they were responsible for so many games available without their box and manuals. One person doing so is understandable, but a nation-wide retailer doing something like that is unforgivable. I have no proof that it was an official policy, but they just did not seem to sell any game complete in the '90s.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I wouldn't say that I've abandoned physical media when it comes to anime; I would categorize it as eschewed at the moment. While legal streaming (Cruncyroll and Daisuki.net for me) and older, obscurer stuff being most easily found digitally has greatly helped keep DVDs and BluRays (and LDs) from over-running the house, it's more out of our household's desire to reduce the amount of "stuff" we have. It's not just anime, either - the lady and I are just trying to not have as many things. While I've been going through stuff to let go of, I've not found a whole lot that I am getting rid of just yet, so I'm just maintaining what's currently there. Maybe when the next house move comes you'll see a fire sale of "Drew doesn't want to move this shit, please have and enjoy!" :lol:
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Super Happy Fun Sell tables go on sale in April!!!!!!!!!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I really believe in owning some physical media for anime that you find that you have a find unique in some aspect. I own Utena, Maison Ikkou, Lum televison series, Niea Under 7, Mermaids Scar, Haibane Remnei, etc. Many of these titles I must go on the internet to find. I also purchase multiple copies of anime soundtracks that I really enjoy. Soundtracks have a tendency to go out of print fairly quickly. Soundtracks mean quite a lot to me as a cellist, soon to be composer, because I like to play the anime themes. I have double copies of Utena, Kare Kano, and Ristorante Paradiso soundtrack variants.

Now I would rather stream all of my anime and soundtracks, but I have found that itunes will lose some of my purchases. Even Crunch Roll. com will remove series I liked from their website. I make an a special effort to buy anime hardcopies of my favorites when they come available. Now concerning the more mainstream and anime industry standards, I do not buy hard copies of those except in rare circumstances where I really like the film.

We must manage clutter in our homes. I have a storage unit to keep extra books, CD's, tools, spare clothes, house supplies, etc to keep down clutter. This is also a good backup should my apartment get robbed or catches fire I also use the space as a music studio when I feel the need to play the cello in 3am in the morning. I digress.

There is no need to keep piles of any thing in your home that will make your home a pest and vermin haven. My home is optimized for cooking, sleeping, and relaxing. I have little furniture and maximal floor space in my apartment. I burn digital copies of all of my music. Then I send the original and backup copy into my storage. I keep a small portion of my collection of music and books in my home. Digital is the way to go; but keep backups. I have a backup external hard drive as well as original discs.
***^__^***
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

yusaku wrote:Digital is the way to go; but keep backups.
I agree and will eventually get there. When I was a Senior in high school, I was thinking of digitizing my VHS collection for the simple reason that I didn't want to haul all of my tapes to university with me. I gave it a try and could never get things done either in the time frame or at the quality level I wanted, so it all fell by the wayside. I also learned that not having a raw copy of Mobile Suit SD Gundam Matsuri film on hand to show off to all of the other anime nerds wouldn't ostracize me from their circle.
davemerrill wrote:Super Happy Fun Sell tables go on sale in April!!!!!!!!!
Not the first time I've considered buying a table and leaving a sign that says "Free To Good Home" with stacks of stuff on it. I mean, it'd be nice to get a little bit of spending money back for it, but I sometimes feel that I would rather just have the stuff out of my house and free is hard to argue with.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.