Have you abandoned physical media to watch your anime?

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
Gunso
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Re: Have you abandoned physical media to watch your anime?

Post by Gunso »

I like being able to rewatch things if I liked them enough to spend money on watching the entire series. When I think about the tapes I have of things that never made it to DVD or shows that I had on DVD and lost due to several moves that are no longer available in physical or streaming media, I am reminded that these things are already too transient. This is especially true in our hobby - distribution licences expire and some company or another goes out of business every few months. Find me a service that is streaming the original Mobile Suit Gundam and I'll reconsider.
Gunso
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by Gunso »

You know, I even checked there before I hit post, but for some reason I was only finding every other Gundam ever made after it.

Does crunchyroll restrict their streaming by "region"?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

they probably do restrict their streaming video by region. It's easy enough to get around with a virtual IP, though. That's how we get regular Unitedy States Netflix instead of the wimpy Canadian Netflix. There are a bunch of ways, this is the one we use: http://www.getusvpn.com/
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

davemerrill wrote:they probably do restrict their streaming video by region. It's easy enough to get around with a virtual IP, though. That's how we get regular Unitedy States Netflix instead of the wimpy Canadian Netflix. There are a bunch of ways, this is the one we use: http://www.getusvpn.com/
Unblockus is the most popular. For the few dollars it costs per month you have access to all the media in the US, Canada, The UK, etc. There are lots of free alternatives but many restrict your use. If you aren't worried too much about legalities, then use XBMC on your computer or tablet. The repositories also get around most regional restrictions. I use it to watch CBS news' site which is normally unavailable to me since I'm not in the US. Works great!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

While I DO watch a lot of streaming and/or DVDr/Tivo-recorded TV, etc, I am a collector at heart. I feel the need to have physical copies of all my favorite things, or things I find to be "essential" titles. Plus I feel it's just so much easier to share with others when you can be like "oh, hey, I have the DVDs, let's just pop it in and watch it now!"....even if you buy a digital copy of something off, say, itunes, it's not that easy to share with others because they might not have itunes or anything compatible with it, for example.

I think the only things I have digital copies of are things that don't have physical discs that I can buy...like old dubs that never got released on DVD, etc.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I also prefer to have the physical version than digital. This goes for films, TV series, books, music and video games.

But with that being said... I realize how my life would be uncluttered if I lived simply via digital. I actually do admire friends who are able live simply without much clutter but I'm beyond that. Nearly all my friends have gone digital...all their books are on iPad, they no longer purchase CD's, DVD's or Blu-rays.

And for video games, many of them are starting to download, but have found the technology not there yet, since games take many GB and these systems don't come with the largest harddrive.

To help unclutter my life, I now have started to ditch all casing and put things in binders. DVD's, music CD's....I trash the jewel cases or amaray cases and starting to do that with video games. Granted, it does cost money to continually buy binders but it has helped alleviate space issues...granted, I have binders upon binders stacked up.

Books, I'm putting them in my storage as I started eliminating VHS tapes earlier this year.
Last edited by kndy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

If you look at that link, though, it no longer has any videos. CR no longer streams any Gundam, I guess since Bandai USA sunk? You can watch Seed and Z Gundam on Daisuki.net legally, though.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Also found this:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/private- ... h-1345770/

There is a section of one of the forums on setting the free and paid ones up. Simple to do step-by-step instructions...

Another...$15 for the year for up to 5 devices (today only). Might splurge for this myself. Don't know if I need it or not but might be handy:

https://deals.macupdate.com/deal/14360/ ... ield-elite

Free:

Expatshield

Firefox browser with Media Hint addon
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

kndy wrote:To help unclutter my life, I now have started to ditch all casing and put things in binders. DVD's, music CD's....I trash the jewel cases or amaray cases and starting to do that with video games. Granted, it does cost money to continually buy binders but it has helped alleviate space issues...granted, I have binders upon binders stacked up.
That's painful for me to think of, but I hope you are making use of these and not simply throwing them away. For example, BRE Software's http://videogameinstructionbooklets.com/ website sells just the box and manuals to so many games.

If you're throwing away any GBA games' boxes, just let me know first, ok? ;)
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page