Miyazaki announces retirement

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Miyazaki announces retirement

Post by greg »

_D_ wrote:"It's best to retire when people still love you, right?"

I'm sure a lot of major directors never worried too much about things like that. Hitchcock never did...
If only M. Night Shaymalan would have thought of that. If say... I dunno, perhaps after The Village he'd hung up his hat and gone on to do other work, maybe people wouldn't immediately snicker at the mention of his name anymore these days.

Earthsea... I have seen multiple used copies at stores here for 100 yen each. I have yet to see it. Ursula K. Leguin made a point to depict the inhabitants of the archipelago in Earthsea as having either red or black skin, and yet that movie shows everyone as Caucasians. (To be fair, I think the made-for-TV Sci Fi Channel series did the same, but I've never seen it.) I met a boy at one of my schools who has read the Earthsea novels too, which is great because most kids always read those dumb books full of manga drawings. He said he didn't care for the Ged Senki/Earthsea movie. Maybe I'll pick it up (heck for 100 yen, that's the same as a rental at Tsutaya). Miyazaki managed to convey a disdain for environmental negligence without being preachy and overhanded, but from what I gather, his son tried to do the same thing but only came across as dull and uninspired.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Miyazaki announces retirement

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, the TV movie for Earthsea was also pretty lackluster, from what little I remember about it.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*