The last tv anime to use cels finally converting to digital

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

The last tv anime to use cels finally converting to digital

Post by usamimi »

Sazae-san, the last TV series to still broadcast with cel-painted, traditional animation, is going all-digital starting this October: http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2013/0 ... um=twitter

Apparently they had been using some digital techniques for the show since 2005, but are just now going to switch over to being completely digital.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: The last tv anime to use cels finally converting to digi

Post by greg »

That's unfortunate and sad.

I guess there's not much else I can say about that. I'm not a fan of Sazae-san or anything, and I usually ignore it when it's on. Nevertheless, it is depressing that it was the last stand for traditional animation and now it too will convert.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The last tv anime to use cels finally converting to digi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, same. I think I've seen all of 2-3 eps of it, but I've heard that Sazae-san was always one of those shows that was kind of targeted to appeal to people's "nostalgia for simpler times" or whatnot--as it never depicts things like modern technology, video games, etc. So it's kinda sad to lose that thing that made it ACTUALLY more traditional, from an animation aspect. But considering how quickly turn around is on digital animation in comparison, it was bound to happen eventually. (Not to mention it probably saves money on things like supplies, and then no having to either store or get rid of all the cels, backgrounds, etc.) That doesn't make it any less sad, but at least there's legitimate reasons for it and it's not just them trying to make it more "modern".
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*