Summer Wonder Festival July 26th in Chiba

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Summer Wonder Festival July 26th in Chiba

Post by greg »

I plan to attend the summer WonFes as I do each year. The place I usually stay at is booked up since I'm getting a late start, so I just booked myself at a capsule hotel for the first time through Expedia. I've never had the opportunity to stay at one, since the place I always stay at offers a small room for about the same price. Here's what the hotel looks like.

Anyhow, I still have some small GKs I bought last year that I never got around to doing anything with. I'll try to restrain myself this year if I can. I will take a lot of pictures and videos, though!

For plastic models, I am excited to see what Fujimi and Plum will have for show. Wonfes is the only event where those two companies have booths. I hope Plum will have the Wings of Honneamise plane model prototypes on display!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Summer Wonder Festival July 26th in Chiba

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Looking forward to the pictures; enjoy the summer WonFes!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

aww the capsule hotel looks kinda cute! You'll have to let us know how it is later.

oooooh Honneamise model?! I hope you can take pics if they have it!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Yeah, for the longest time, people have been saying, "Man, wouldn't it be cool if they made plastic models of those awesome fighter planes from Honneamise?" At last, our prayers have been answered! I saw some pictures of them online and I think that the pictures were from the Winter Wonfes. (I couldn't go because I was broke in February---thanks a lot, NHK!)

The capsule room looks like something from an SF movie. Somebody on another forum suggested that I take my facehugger plushie and take some selfie pics with it on my face. :D

I don't know if they have any capsule hotels for women. They are typically for men-only. I was looking around the street view of the place on Google maps, and I see an interesting pizza joint, a Chinese restaurant, and some other cool places on that corner. I'm looking forward to it!

I always visit Tokyo this weekend for the summer WonFes, and that Saturday is the Sumida-gawa Fireworks Festival. I've never been there, so I may go if it's not raining.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I've long heard that capsule hotels are "men only", which kinda bums me out...I'd love to try one, they seem so cozy! It reminds me of Korben's tiny apartment in The Fifth Element, lol :lol:

I did notice this on the website of the place you said you were staying, though! http://capsuleinn.com/en/info/doc04.php Looks like they have a ladies floor! :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I stayed in a capsule hotel when I visited Fukuoka back in 2009 and it was holy crap amazing. I am pretty sure it was Greenland in Nakasu-ku, Fukuoka-city. 10/10 would do again in a heart beat. For the same price as a netcafe, I got a massage and complimentary juice included with my stay. The capsule bed was extremely comfortable and bath was great. I wouldn't say it was the best night of sleep on that trip but it was pretty near the top. Plus, the locker had plenty of space for my luggage, which I worried about frankly. When I next go back to Japan, I would never hesitate staying at one (unless immigration would have a problem with me listing one as my lodging).
greg wrote:I don't know if they have any capsule hotels for women. They are typically for men-only.
I seem to recall Greenland having a women's floors, though it wouldn't surprise me that most others are single-gender occupancy. The building Greenland was in had several stories; the lobby and lockers were on one floor, our capsules were on the second, men's bath on 3. I seem to recall massage being a few floors higher and passing some women in the stairwell.

Hope you have fun at WonFes, greg!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg

Post by greg »

OK, here's a photographic gallery of pictures I took at Summer Wonder Festival on Sunday!
http://stevethefish.net/life/life104.htm

I got to meet Naoyuki Katou and his wife Keiko from Studio Nue. My acquaintance described Keiko as the "model" or "heart" of the Dirty Pair. I am not sure what he meant by that, so I need to follow up with him on that. I couldn't find anything about her by doing a search.

I'll work on getting a video uploaded soon.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

So much cool stuff; thanks for the pictures Greg!

I did not expect to see that Zillion shooting set!!! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for one of those, that looks like a very nice piece for any collection.