Megumi Hayashibara laments "loss of 90s Ambitions"

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Megumi Hayashibara laments "loss of 90s Ambitions"

Post by _D_ »

The problem over here is that too many of the new anime fandom do not like the Japanese language at all and refuse to watch anything in its original language. I don't know any of the mid 20s and under fans who are even trying to understand Japanese anymore. They will wait for an English language release. Some genuinely hate certain voice actors like the woman who does Goku's voice and are dismayed when Toriyama says that IS Goku's voice as far as he is concerned. Sure not like the past. They also don't care about the history of anime fandom. It's like another boring school lesson. It will be relegated to some dusty old tome and forgotten as far as they are concerned. We have an in-town convention running right now (http://www.kita-kon.org/schedule/) but the subject matter leaves me pretty cold. And if it wasn't for all the cosplay, they probably would only have a one day convention. If most cons are heavily geared toward the cosplay crowd these days, then I guess I'm not missing anything. As for newer anime, thematically, I'm not too thrilled by what I'm seeing. I've gotten way too used to seeing new productions from here over the past few years to heavily invest time in newer anime anyway. But weirdly enough, though there is still a big fan subbing community for anime and TV such things do not (apparently) exist in Japan. So, they will wait and wait for productions from here to be officially released in Japan or never see them. Very weird considering all the versions of shows from here that get subbed in various languages as soon as they air and none in Japanese...