Drawn from Inspiration (some posts NSFW!)

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
NorthernKaleCity
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Drawn from Inspiration (some posts NSFW!)

Post by NorthernKaleCity »

I could still remember the day I sat down and watched the very first episode of Bubblegum Crisis 2032, a relatively brand new copy I rented from Blockbuster video at the time. My 10 year old self sat in awe for the very first time as my exposure to anime hit me like a freight train barreling down the tracks, dealing with cyberpunk themes so adult I was afraid of getting caught by my parents for renting something I had no business looking at as a kid.

I must have watched that video at least 7 times before telling myself, "I want to draw like that some day." So here are just a few cropped examples of how, thanks to the inspiration I was exposed to back then, I'm able to draw what I can today.

Most of the artwork I do is adult in nature. I have La Blue Girl and the Bondage Fairies to thank for that and to some extent, Bubblegum Crisis too. But every once in a while the inspiration clearly shows through my cheesecake pin up work. From my heart to yours, enjoy.
Attachments
Speed Racer Trixie.jpg
Speed Racer Trixie.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Diana Sonoda.png
Diana Sonoda.png (162.89 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Jung Freud GUNBUSTER.png
Jung Freud GUNBUSTER.png (87.26 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Shampoo Ramen Delivery.png
Shampoo Ramen Delivery.png (166.39 KiB) Viewed 2307 times

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Drawn from Inspiration

Post by usamimi »

Nice! The Shampoo one is especially cute!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

NorthernKaleCity

Thanks Usamimi, it feels really good sharing my work with those who grew up watching the same anime I did. How I wish we could get all our inspirational creators in one giant room to let them know, "Your work inspired us, thank you for your creative process." It's a shame we can't just, give them a phone call to say thank you or send them an email to say thanks, to show them that they continue to inspire us to this day.

That particular Shampoo pin up took me a long time to draw, her face in particular. Ms. Rumiko Takahashi's way of drawing faces seems so easy to emulate on the surface, which is what I thought when I first started drawing the picture. "Seems simple enough," I thought as I put pencil to paper, but man was I wrong.

Had I used the proper reference material from the very beginning, I'm sure my outcome would have been a lot faster. It also taught me how a print style of artwork varies when it gets adapted to animation, something I was unaware of until recently. Plus it shows that masters of their craft, are who they are, through practice.

NorthernKaleCity

Here's a picture I drew for an anonymous request of Black Magic M-66 units F6 and 39 comparing themselves.
Attachments
F6 vs. 39 001.png
F6 vs. 39 001.png (372.55 KiB) Viewed 2280 times

NorthernKaleCity

Just out of curiosity, are there any other artists out there that work with, or maintain some form of, classic anime or manga style to their work? I can't imagine being the only person alive right now who's at least attempting to draw in that particular manner. Do any of you have any friends who draw or write like this?

Are there conventions that still showcase this kind of work anywhere in America, or worldwide for that matter? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on this, really I would.

labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

Nearly two decades ago I made fanart to sell at cons. I used watercolors and pens to make wall-sized art that would hopefully sell for good money. It was a lot of work to earn even enough to cover the cost of admission. I had better luck bartering illustrations for tapes. I haven't produced anything of late, after ending a webcomic that ran during the MMO craze. Here are some unsold images:
Attachments
eightdemons3.JPG
eightdemons3.JPG (109.82 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
shojo_waterc.jpg
shojo_waterc.jpg (165.15 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
snkgirls.jpg
snkgirls.jpg (64.43 KiB) Viewed 2230 times

DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Holy Crap! That Ninja Scroll watercolor mural is amazing! It has a Peter Chung look to it, just without them being very lanky and disjointed.

NorthernKaleCity

That's very impressive work, Labsenpai. Like DKop, I can certainly appreciate the amount of time spent on the Ninja Scroll watercolor piece— with all of your pieces, really. Thank you for sharing them. I'm humbled yet again and understand, I still have SO much more to learn in my art.

If it's not too much to ask (well, it's more like picking your brain a bit), when you attended conventions 20 years ago, what was the cost of admission at that time, and how many of your pieces did you have to sell in order to meet that price?

I imagine you found a pretty good selection of VHS tapes for trade with your work, and with all due respect, may I ask why bartering off your work for tapes, felt like the thing to do at the time?

Were there several artists who illustrated in the same art ability as you've shown here? What was the camaraderie like in Artist Alleys back then? What was the atmosphere like? How accepting were people back then, when it came to fan art? Was there a standard of quality expected from said fan art?

And as fans, are any of you happy to see classic anime and manga is still being drawn and practiced today? Could there be some form of renaissance growing on the horizon for us?

I felt the need to ask these questions from the heart, I'd love to hear what you all have to say.

labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

My Art Show selling goals: 1) sell a few to cover admission (approx $40) 2) sell the majority and cover some of the hotel bill 3) Sell all in an amazing bidding war and cover some of my dealer's room buys ;)

I didn't barter for blurry Nth generation fandubs. I traded for masters recorded off import laserdics...a rare commodity back then in the Midwest. One day I'll post a pic of the list of titles I could swap art for. I didn't want to sit in the Artist's Alley for hours, so making enough sales to help with expenses and acquire new anime was enough.

I think each fan-artist had a kind of niche or favorite media back then. I've always envied the guys who could sculpt hobby kits and airbrush them to perfection. You'd have to be a fixture at numerous events before anything like camaraderie (or standards) would apply. Only peerI sorta knew who followed this route completely was Robert DeJesus.

All non-digital illustration is becoming rarer each year, and its great teachers older. I think some graduates would freak out without P-Shop layer editing.
/more sold art images found
//did show the ninja montage to the movie's director
Attachments
flcl.jpg
flcl.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
two_kyokos.png
two_kyokos.png (166.36 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

NorthernKaleCity

Are you still drawing, labsenpai? Do you still attend conventions?