The Real Deal Thunder Sub Club

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

The Real Deal Thunder Sub Club

Post by davemerrill »

Just got finished with this new Let's Anime all about Yoshinobu Nishizaki's OTHER space battleship TV anime, Blue Noah aka Thunder Sub.

http://letsanime.blogspot.ca/2016/07/so ... -deal.html

Are YOU a REAL DEAL THUNDER SUB fan eligible for membership in the REAL DEAL THUNDER SUB CLUB? Huh? Are ya?

Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: The Real Deal Thunder Sub Club

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Another excellent and informative post. Thanks Dave!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Man, and here I thought being the only Sol Bianca fanboy was lonely enough. Then again, I don't know any fansites dedicated to Sol Bianca, so I am in the minority.

I feel that that between that one guys fansite that hasn't been updated in 8 years and your article, that might be the only coverage of Thunder Sub is ever going to get.
AVHodgson
Anime Fan Since: Who knows when

Post by AVHodgson »

Nice informative article about a show that, frankly, will never get such a treatment from anyone else.

Regarding who produced the English dub - I took a look at the first episode. One of the technicians about three minutes in sounds like Arthur Grosser, who has a distinctive voice and was a CINAR regular at the time. So indeed the dub may have been produced, if not there, then in Montreal. Maybe at Cinelume.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

For some reason I got it in my head to write about Thunder Sub at some point in the spring, and so I dug out the one episode I had taped off 36, and the compilation movie, and started watching, and the voice work was so familiar, but I couldn't place it... and then I remembered that Ultra Seven dub, and that was a total match. There aren't any actual extant definite credits for the dub studio or the voice talent, but darn it, those are the Ultra Seven voices.

I spent a long time digging through old issues of Broadcasting Magazine online to find any mention of the show, and I only found a few really fragmentary mentions of Thunder Sub, but a bunch of ads about other series of interest like Force Five, Voltron, Battle Of The Planets, etc.

The hardest part of the article was making that stupid fan club logo, to be honest. I kind of have a better appreciation of the show after writing the piece- it's still a flat, colorless Yamato clone, but it goes further into what a devastated Earth would be like, and the Gotham aliens aren't nearly as mindless or as motivation-free as your typical SF anime villains.
AVHodgson
Anime Fan Since: Who knows when

Post by AVHodgson »

davemerrill wrote: I spent a long time digging through old issues of Broadcasting Magazine online to find any mention of the show, and I only found a few really fragmentary mentions of Thunder Sub, but a bunch of ads about other series of interest like Force Five, Voltron, Battle Of The Planets, etc.
Tell me about it. Many a day I've had to pore over old magazines for evidence that so-and-so show was actually dubbed...

I could probably identify more of the voice cast if I sat down and watched a few more episodes... But I don't know whether I would want to do that.