AWA 2016

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

AWA 2016

Post by davemerrill »

Well, as usual it's AWA time and I'm gonna be doin' a bunch of stuff!

Let me remind everyone that Neil Nadelman's Totally Lame Anime is at a NEW TIME this year, it runs 4-6pm Friday in Galleria Hall D. Same place as last year, but new time.

What am *I* up to?

Anime Hell is back Friday night at 10pm!

Saturday morning we'll look at some crazy Japanese cartoons that will never, ever, ever be licensed in the US, ever. And I'd be happy to be proven wrong in my blanket statement here.

Saturday night we're hosting another AWA Mixer for peoples to meet and greet their fellow fans. This is a 21+ event, there's a cash bar, it's a swell time for grownups to meet other grownups and talk about real estate and insurance and interest rates and cartoons.

And on Sunday we'll hop into the Anime Club Hot Tub Time Machine and take a trip back to what the world of anime was like for fans in the 60s and 70s and 80s, back when things were groovy and/or mellow.

If you're going to be at AWA please find me and say "Hi" and come to all my panels! See you at the show!
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: AWA 2016

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Looks like you have some great panels lined up! I'd be particularly interested in Anime Club Hot Tub Time Machine. Unfortunately I won't be at AWA, but best of luck to you. I'm sure your panels will be a success!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I was planning on attending, but since my panel got cancelled for approval and the gf and I are doing another con a couple of months down the road, I am going to be a no show this year. Hopefully, I will be ever vigilant in getting a panel approved for next year.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

it occurs to me now that this should be in the "real world stuff" area. Whoops.

Anyway AWA went well, smoother than last year. Panels went well, the mixer was off the hook, Hell had zero technical problems (which may be a first). Saw a bunch of old friends. Not a lot of old school stuff in the vendors room. I did see a few old-school cosplayers, though.
gatchcosp.jpg
gatchcosp.jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
I did manage to find a commemorative plate from the Nippon Animation series "Rascal The Raccoon" and Tim Eldred brought me some early '80s 'Adventure King' magazines, so it's not like I came home empty handed. I didn't get overtired or sick, nobody had crisis flipouts or disasters, and what medical emergencies the con DID have were handled competently and quickly. Overall the weekend was a blur of fun, as shown here:
shfs16blurr.jpg
shfs16blurr.jpg (118.66 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Sounds like a great time; glad you enjoyed AWA!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I'd love to go to A WA one of these days. The SHFS always looks like a blast!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*