superbook/flying house at Let's Anime

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: superbook/flying house at Let's Anime

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote:my big plan for Corn Pone Flicks was to pitch "Corn Dog Seven" as a series of really short episodes of a post-apocalyptic adventure series where the opening of every episode would be a different disaster destroying the world, the episode would continue from a previous episode that didn't exist, there would be a completely different crisis every episode, somebody named "Jones" would die in every episode, and the cliffhanger at the end of every episode would naturally *not* be picked up in the next episode. And of course it would have deliberately terrible effects, like "Decker" on AS.

I don't believe anybody else in Corn Pone Flicks would have agreed to this ever, but I still think it's a pretty good idea.
That sounds like the plot of a lost Danger 5 episode.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I've never seen Danger 5, but I'm pretty sure they stole everything from Corn Dog 7, except the name, which *we* stole from the actual mall food court corn dog vendor "Corn Dog 7."

You have to go three pages into Google searches before you find our film, which hopefully was a source of great confusion to people familiar with the actual corn dog vendors. We ourselves are still mystified as to where the "7" comes from in 'Corn Dog 7.'
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

davemerrill wrote:my big plan for Corn Pone Flicks was to pitch "Corn Dog Seven" as a series of really short episodes of a post-apocalyptic adventure series where the opening of every episode would be a different disaster destroying the world, the episode would continue from a previous episode that didn't exist, there would be a completely different crisis every episode, somebody named "Jones" would die in every episode, and the cliffhanger at the end of every episode would naturally *not* be picked up in the next episode. And of course it would have deliberately terrible effects, like "Decker" on AS.

I don't believe anybody else in Corn Pone Flicks would have agreed to this ever, but I still think it's a pretty good idea.
I'll pitch one!

"Some thought the end of civilization would come from Global Warming. Others believed a new Ice Age would doom all mankind. Nobody even thought of...

The Smoothiepocalypse!"

"In the year 2020 it suddenly became completely impossible to make a smoothie. No more smoothies, milkshakes, frappachinos, anything involving a blender, ice cream or yogurt, fruit or other materials and ice- impossible.Tens of Thousands died when there were no more margeritas. Millions when coffee shops could no longer make blended drinks. every 7/11 in the world spontaneously exploded, ground zero always the Slurpee machine. It was a new dark age of having nothing but sodas, water, milk and other 'simple' beverages."

"One man named Jones sought the answer. WHY were blenders acting cray-cray? The answer would lie over the hills. This is the story of Corn Dog 7"

Ahh, that's lame..
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Wow, I loved Superbook, so the ad hit me right in the feels.
AVHodgson
Anime Fan Since: Who knows when

Post by AVHodgson »

Great article as always...

I don't think you mentioned, though, that there were a few Christian groups who objected to Superbook because they feared it would give kids a false impression of religion - that is, they'd read the Bible and feel gypped because there was no time travel or robots in it!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

AVHodgson wrote:Great article as always...

I don't think you mentioned, though, that there were a few Christian groups who objected to Superbook because they feared it would give kids a false impression of religion - that is, they'd read the Bible and feel gypped because there was no time travel or robots in it!
Well in hindsight, better to take time travel and robots over rape, murder, and the worst that man can do to someone in the name of God or what lead someone too God. Then again, most kids in Sunday School get that stuff glanced over by their teachers, so it's not any different with our without Superbook. I can't give too much crap on Sunday School teachers, I was one at one point a few years back.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I was unaware of any of these objections to Superbook, any of this in print or online anywhere? That would be great to see.
AVHodgson
Anime Fan Since: Who knows when

Post by AVHodgson »

davemerrill wrote:

I was unaware of any of these objections to Superbook, any of this in print or online anywhere? That would be great to see.
All I could find about it were second-hand references; but stuff like this has to come from somewhere, so undoubtedly someone out there really does believe it.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

AVHodgson wrote:
davemerrill wrote:

All I could find about it were second-hand references; but stuff like this has to come from somewhere, so undoubtedly someone out there really does believe it.
Jack Chick tracts exist... (or at least used to.... wow, another thing that passed in 2016...), so I have to believe that someone believes it.