that Patlabor zine

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

that Patlabor zine

Post by davemerrill »

Geez, I forgot to mention that the Patlabor zine that myself and Usamimi and lots of others have work in - well, it finally came out and you can get one for your very own!

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1180585?__r=146150

It's a print on demand zine, featuring art and articles by Ian F. Martin, Shaindle Minuk, Brian Ruh, Renato Rivera Rusca, Daryl Surat, Matt Schley, Dawn “Usamimi” H., Eric Alexander Arroyo, Exo, Hazukari, Niki, Tofu+Beast, and Tom Winnicki. It will never be made available digitally, so if you want to read about how, say, Oshii was to direct a Lupin III film and how that didn't pan out, then buying this zine and holding it in your hot little hands is the only way to do it!
patlabor_fanzine_cover.jpg
patlabor_fanzine_cover.jpg (370.24 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: that Patlabor zine

Post by DKop »

I still got the last part in the back to read, but I found all of what I read really interesting. I can look at Patlabor the Movie in another unique way than I did before reading that article.

Yea your article was good too, and regarding the female roles in patlabor is one of the unique things about the show that at first glance you don't give it much thought too, unless your under the belief that all women are submissive, stay-at-home-moms or love interest side characters for the main protagonists. But studios like ARTMIC did give us OVA's that had strong female characters and supporting male characters (or no males at all in some series), so this adding to this minus bath scenes and male fan-service was a different breath of fresh air. Well there was fanservice, but to those who were Ultraman fans who would of saw that one parody episode in the New Files OVA.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah! I'm so glad this actually did come out. I was worried it wouldn't since it took a while! :lol: it was cool that my drawing got used in close approximation with your guys' article, Dave! I thought that was cool.

I still haven't read through everything but I have enjoyed what I have so far, of course no surprise given all the great contributions! ;)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

So are all 3 of the 'Colony Drop' items yours? I will put getting them on my to-do list if so?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

runesaint wrote:So are all 3 of the 'Colony Drop' items yours? I will put getting them on my to-do list if so?
Not sure if this was directed to me or Dave, but Colony Drop is an anime blog collective that also put together these fanzines showcasing the work of other fans. I hope that helps?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Very cool! As a big Patlabor fan, I'll definitely have to order a copy.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

runesaint wrote:So are all 3 of the 'Colony Drop' items yours? I will put getting them on my to-do list if so?
Colony Drop is a collective group of several people; I have articles in all 3 of their print zines, but that's my only involvement, I haven't written anything for their blog or otherwise been a participant in Colony Drop things.