dixie trek

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

dixie trek

Post by davemerrill »

This has almost nothing to do with Japanese cartoons, but there was a convention in Atlanta called "Dixie Trek" back in the day and I went to a few, and recently I wrote a piece about it on the Atlanta fandom blog that I irregularly update. Those interested in the fandom scene of the 80s may find it entertaining reading.

http://atlantafantasyfair.blogspot.com/ ... -trek.html
dixiesstv.jpg
dixiesstv.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
dixietreksecurity.jpg
dixietreksecurity.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: dixie trek

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Always a good read - really like reading a lot of these fandom posts. It helps that I'm local enough I know the locations but still young enough to just know names of shows and such. I'm sure you've kicked around the idea of doing something now for convention culture in Toronto - I'd love to read those, too!

So, did you know many of the organizers of the show? Was DragonCon running at that time? I ask because when I was talking about convention stuff at work, apparently one of my co-worker's brother or former brother-in-law was a staffer for some convention that started as an offshoot of DragonCon, which I thought he said was DixieTrek. I remember hearing several (four, five) years ago that there was another splinter show from DC's StarTrek, too, so it's possible I'm confusing the two...
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: dixie trek

Post by davemerrill »

I really haven't been around Toronto's convention scene enough to be any sort of authority on its shows. There's a literary SF convention that I've never been to, and a Star Trek/media show that has since vanished, and a Fan Expo every year that I don't attend... the history of Toronto fandom will be written without my assistance, I believe.

I think I met Owen Ogletree once or twice. Other than that I never had any contact with the Dixie-Trek organizers.

Dragon Con started in 1987, so it and Dixie Trek were concurrent for six or seven years. Dixie Trek predates Dragon Con, though.

There is now a Star Trek convention in Atlanta called "Treklanta" that I believe is run by some of the people who run or ran Dragoncon's "Trek Trak" programming. That may be the convention your co-worker's brother-in-law is staffing.