My ANN article: 30 Years of Kimagure Orange Road!

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Re: My ANN article: 30 Years of Kimagure Orange Road!

Post by PinkAppleJam »

I really enjoyed it! I wonder if Jingoro was my 'first anime cat'. We have a fatty ginger boy now. I did consider Jingoro...

Wondering if the upcoming DMP KS release interested ANN to request an article! I'm excited to see progress shots in my inbox. Slightly terrified about the pending overseas shipping charges though.
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

I'm more concerned about the lack of updates on Izumi Matsumoto's health. Just a simple "He's doing fine" or a picture of him would really go a long way. I also don't like that they're keeping mum on whether or not he'll be able to sign anything that was promised to backers of higher tiers.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Akage wrote:I'm more concerned about the lack of updates on Izumi Matsumoto's health. Just a simple "He's doing fine" or a picture of him would really go a long way. I also don't like that they're keeping mum on whether or not he'll be able to sign anything that was promised to backers of higher tiers.
Yeah, that really worries me...a friend of mine & I sent postcards in when they gave an address for fans to send him postcards with well wishes, but no update on if he got them or if he liked them...sigh. This is one of tge reasons why I didn't back the KS. Compared to the other KS campaigns I've done, DMPs seems slapdash & sloppy in comparison :(
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

usamimi wrote:Compared to the other KS campaigns I've done, DMPs seems slapdash & sloppy in comparison :(
They are sloppy. I've yet to be even remotely satisfied with their Kickstarters and I backed this one solely because Matsumoto was a really nice man when I met him. I sent some sealed tea and a nice washi container for DMP to bring to Matsumoto, and no word. I would have loved for them to have included a picture of him with the cards and whatnot that were sent for him.

If DMP's prior Kickstarter restocks are any indication, the printing quality of these KOR books will be horrible. I'm not thrilled that they have yet to show a picture of the book's finished binding. I was not pleased with the quality of "The Tyrant Falls in Love" (Koisuru Boukun) and neither was the mangaka when she saw it. Despite Takanaga being very high maintenance, I'd never seen a guest visibly flinch when presented with the US version of their works. So while I'm happy to see it in print, I am concerned that they'll fall apart after a reading or two.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah. My other concern is that the manga is ONLY available via their KS or online shop...no Amazon options, no TRS option, no retail option. So unless a fan is already aware of the KS campaign, they're not gonna know they can buy it. Kinda sucks for fans not in the loop.

I KSed Unico when they first did it....and when I finally received my book, it was missing pages. They made ME pay to mail them the misprinted book before sending a new one (they "repaid" me by sending stickers... :roll: ). I've done other comic KS were my book came damaged & they'd just send me a new book free of charge...dunno why DMP couldn't do the same. The other big thing that pissed me off was a few years later, they did ANOTHER UNICO KS for a "nicer, hardcover version"..... Um, what?? It felt like an insult to the people who did the first one. We getstuck with paperbacks now while they get hardcovers, how nice :(

That really turned me off of participating in any future KS from them, but I've heard similar stories Akage. The fact that even the mangaka they work with arent happy is pretty telling. I really like Matsumoto's work but at this point I almost would rather order his books from Amazon.JP or something to show support cuz I feel like its only a matter of time before DMP screws up something.
PinkAppleJam

Post by PinkAppleJam »

DMP doesn't seem a great place overall :?
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Dig ... irect=true :(

I know Japan doesn't consider mental health a medical issue and more of a personal failure, which is awful, but I know efforts are being made to help stop ostracizing people with this :( How does Japan handle physical medical issues? I know Ai Yazawa is on prolonged hiatus because of awful health, but nothing specific has been disclosed. I thought it very brave of Matsumoto to talk about his health publicly (even drawing it) because it can be considered taboo, whereas really openness helps stigmatize and empathize. Nobody chooses illness/disability!

Maybe DMP cannot discuss tiers/signatures issues because of fluctuating health reasons, but I do absolutely agree an update on health would be helpful - the last update was a very worrying read. :cry:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I know several people who worked for or with DMP that have said it was a horrible experience & wouldn't ever go back. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually say they enjoyed working for them, which is telling....

Yeah, you'd think they'd at least do an update on that to ease people's worries!! Poor Matsumoto sensei. :cry:
Guyver I

Post by Guyver I »

Awesome article! I actually read it last month, but didn't realize who the author was, until just now seeing your post! Great work, and congratulations!
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org