The Anime Origin Story Site

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

The Anime Origin Story Site

Post by DKop »

So the person who runs Otaku Journalist Lauren Orsini started to do a site for people to submit their backstory on how they became otaku. Once you submit a story, she is able to do follow up questions (on your behalf) to ask on more specifics regarding your fandom. I have already submitted mine, so hopefully I get to hear back from her on this. I'm sure you guys would love to say something about your fandom that she can add to this site, so i'll post it on here:

http://www.animeoriginstories.com/
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: The Anime Origin Story Site

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I went ahead and did one for grins - let's see if it goes anywhere!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I thought the one from Canberra John was interesting:http://www.animeoriginstories.com/54-john/

Mostly I think because JAFWA plays such a unique role in the history of anime fandom -- I mean, I can't think of any other Australian clubs that have the same prominence, and the close ties with Cal-Animage way back when were a unique twist. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop

Post by DKop »

This gives a good perspective on fandom across other parts of the world, when it just seems to focus on mostly in America, Europe and South America. When people say that anime has a global impact, I don't think a whole lot of people know that it affects most countries than just the three I mentioned. Fandom happenes everywhere, and this is a nice way of showing the history from different nations.
DKop

Post by DKop »

My long-as-heck story got published finally. I knew Dawn was one of the earlier stories published on this site as well, and I thought there was one more member im not remembering.

http://www.animeoriginstories.com/94-dustin-k/
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I let out an audible "Owww" for the person whose first anime was Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan. (^_^;)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

DKop wrote:My long-as-heck story got published finally. I knew Dawn was one of the earlier stories published on this site as well, and I thought there was one more member im not remembering.

Great interview. I can relate to the Toonami days of Gundam Wing and it being a "gateway" into anime. While my introduction to anime came much earlier, thanks to VHS copies of Speed Racer, Gigantor, and Golgo 13 (though The Noozles may have been my very first anime), and then later on G-Force, Dragon Ball, and Sailor Moon, it was Gundam Wing that really kickstarted a hardcore interest.

I vividly remember Toonami's original Gundam Wing promo that Cartoon Network would run, weeks before the show even premiered. That promo trailer gave the show such an epic feel, setting it far above and beyond anything else airing on CN at the time. I also recall the hype when they aired the Endless Waltz movie.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Yea that two minute promo they did sold that show as some epic show you didn't want to miss out on. It's on youtube I believe.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote:My long-as-heck story got published finally. I knew Dawn was one of the earlier stories published on this site as well, and I thought there was one more member im not remembering.

I submitted one but I've not had the follow up conversation. Which is probably what I expected, what I am reading is not too much different than other people on the site and I don't have any weird hook like successful fansites, fanzines, IRC channel, etc.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I submitted one but I've not had the follow up conversation. Which is probably what I expected, what I am reading is not too much different than other people on the site and I don't have any weird hook like successful fansites, fanzines, IRC channel, etc.