Talkin' About Kenichi Sonoda

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Talkin' About Kenichi Sonoda

Post by labsenpai »

SteveH wrote: I guess in many ways he's like Mikimoto. One shining moment in the '80s he's all that, then it's all "huh? Who dat?"
HM returned in a big way doing the characters for Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. You can tell the artists went the distance to capture that early 90's Mikimoto-Gal look on screen. I haven't seen a project of his look that good since Gunbuster.

I think Sonoda's ultra clean style and mechanical drafting skill would be a perfect match for today's cel-shaded digital production. Gall Force in the manner of Knights of Sidonia for example...
Attachments
ironfortress.jpg
ironfortress.jpg (94.92 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Great stuff! I've always loved Sonoda's style (his BGC designs are still some of my fave things ever), I'm kinda sad he doesn't really get to do character designs for things anymore. But it's cool he's still working when he can. I'd noticed he was a guest at Emerald City Comicon in Seattle several times, which kinda surprised me...I guess it was only a matter of time before Sakura-con was like "hey maybe you should come to the actual anime con in Seattle too!" :lol:

That's great you could get an autograph, I have one from him in my Otaku no Video artbook but MAN I'd love to get him to sign my BGC stuff one day...(or get a Priss sketch! Ahh if only!)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I got one of his artbooks i'd love for him to sign one day. Same with you on getting my OnV artbook signed as well from him.
NorthernKaleCity
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by NorthernKaleCity »

If any of you are looking to have something drawn in Kenichi Sonoda's style of work, I can emulate his art style.

If you're looking to see what that Knights of Sidonia picture up above would look like in Mr. Sonoda's style LabSempai, I can give it a shot, or try Gall Force in the Knights of Sidonia style.

Likewise Usamimi, if you'd like a Priss drawn in his style, I'd be more than happy to draw that for you, too. Not TOO ecchi like the one I posted, but I can draw you something really nice.

After reading the article, I was sad to hear that Kenichi Sonoda was no longer going to draw in order to take over the family business. But there are still artists out there who looked up to Mr. Sonoda, and pay homage by drawing just like him. I firmly believe now that we learn to draw like our mentors so that when the actual artist walks away from the work we all grew up on and love, we can take up the slack and give back to those fans who don't want to see that particular drawing style fade away. :)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

That's sweet of you to offer Northern! But you don't need to, it's ok. XD I do have a sketch of Misty May by him so I guess I can't complain too much, but Priss was always my fave in BGC so I can't help but think about that too haha.

I'm glad that he still loves his fans enough to come to conventions, and he's done 2 special manga stories for Animeigo Kickstarters. So while he might not be doing huge projects anymore, it's good to see he hasn't stopped drawing completely. And I agree he was definitely a huge inspiration to lots of artists, which makes me happy. His late 80s/Early 90s era of art is my fave. :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
NorthernKaleCity
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by NorthernKaleCity »

The offer's open if you'd like, Usamimi. I know it's not an original Sonoda piece, but I can get real damn close, and it's drawn with love and in the spirit of Kenichi Sonoda, that's for sure. And LabSenpai, the offer's still good if you'd like to see that picture above in Sonoda style, or Gall Force in that particular style of work.

A dream would be fullfilled if I ever had a chance to meet him, sit side by side with him at a convention and have him draw my Angelica Amanda Blackwater while I drew his favorite character for him. That's be awesome.