Mushi Pro Best Series Let's Anime

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Mushi Pro Best Series Let's Anime

Post by davemerrill »

just finished up a new Let's Anime all about the videotape "Mushi Pro Best Series", a compilation of the best films and TV shows produced by Tezuka's Mushi Productions from '63-'84. It's a fascinating look at some really popular shows, some buried treasures, and some tremendous misfires, and how a studio can resurrect itself and keep on truckin'. It's all in the latest Let's Anime!

http://letsanime.blogspot.ca/2017/08/mu ... eries.html
boysdet2.jpg
boysdet2.jpg (98.99 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
joe2.jpg
joe2.jpg (89.87 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
tezukaprobestseries.jpg
tezukaprobestseries.jpg (381.18 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: Mushi Pro Best Series Let's Anime

Post by SteveH »

Beautiful stuff and well done as always. :)

I mourn the loss of the very concept of this tape. The idea of putting a bunch of clips together, OPs and other stuff, just to have a general showcase of material is all but lost. It's just not the SAME on Youtube.

That tape and others like it is, as you said, a concentrated dose of "what did I just watch?!" that will never exist again.

I mean, consider the anime produced over the last, what, 20 years? Clip after clip of stunning sameness, with interchangeable MOEblob lolicon chara and vapid forgettable songs.

rargh.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

thanks for the compliments!

I think a compilation tape of stuff from the past 20 years would look like "moe blob, bad remake, moe blob, moe blob, moe blob, FLOWERS OF EVIL, moe blob, bad remake, moe blob, CRAZY TRIGGER STUFF, moe blob, etc" There are interesting things being done but they are surrounded by samey dreck. Like everything else, I guess.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

davemerrill wrote:thanks for the compliments!

I think a compilation tape of stuff from the past 20 years would look like "moe blob, bad remake, moe blob, moe blob, moe blob, FLOWERS OF EVIL, moe blob, bad remake, moe blob, CRAZY TRIGGER STUFF, moe blob, etc" There are interesting things being done but they are surrounded by samey dreck. Like everything else, I guess.
I dunno. I would dare anyone to say Wonder 3 is the same as Tomorrow's Joe is the same as Cleopatra.

I look at a picture of a MOEblob chara on ANN and I say to myself "Oh, is that a new show? huh. OK."

So, yeah. :)
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I honestly would have thought the whole moeblob trend would have passed by now. It's been, what, around 15 years now of full-on moe? There has always been some moe, but it really started to gather serious steam as an industry unto itself around when Card Captor Sakura merchandise started to be marketed towards adult otaku, and then really blew up around the time of Azumanga Daioh.

Of course, during the 80s it was nothing but mecha, to the point where even I got sick of mecha for a while. Now with pretty much every mecha and space show being either partly or mostly CGI, I realize that the mecha genre as we knew it in the 80s probably ain't ever coming back.

But honestly, forget moe--nowadays I'd settle for some more anime that doesn't have a classroom setting.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Great stuff as usual Dave!
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

I really enjoyed this! Thanks Dave.

Very excited for the AnJ film as I'm hugely curious about the dub.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

davemerrill wrote:thanks for the compliments!

What I am remembering right now, is the era where clubs had tape lists, where something like "TW316" would have episode 72 of saint seiya, episode XX of Lupin III, episode this of that, all with the commercials and such.
So when I was filling gaps in this or that series, I picked up a lot of those. These would inevitably have some show I was unaware of, and if I had it anyways...
My best guess is that those types of lists faded after the '80s ended. My recollection was that 1992+ had lists that were by series, not by tape id. I think.

As I traded out copies as I got lower gen copies, eventually replacing with DVD and/or digital..(also so that collections took up much less physical space), I do on occasion recall the faded memories of watching the faded tapes being fascinated even with the commercials..