Theoretical 80s Nostalgia Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Theoretical 80s Nostalgia Blog

Post by karageko »

Some of my writings seem more appropriate in a blog, even though I don't really fancy myself as much of the blogging type. In any case, I finally bit the bullet and just set up one which I decided to call "Theoretical 80s Nostalgia" which can be found at https://karageko.me/. Despite being named that, the blog is really just a personal blog for me to write about whatever I want. However, theoretical 80s nostalgia has driven and continues to drive most of my hobby interests so there's probably going to be write-ups about a decent amount of that stuff, especially of the anime and manga variety. I'll post in this thread when I feel that a new post may be something of interest to people on this forum.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
karageko

Re: Theoretical 80s Nostalgia Blog

Post by karageko »

All the above being said, my first post that isn't just something I originally posted on this forum is about something not technically from the 80s (in fact there are yet to be any 80s posts :lol: ). It is about a 1990 30 minute TV Special named Fujiko Fujio A's Mumako or Fujiko Fujio A no Mumako. Some of you may recognize that Fujiko Fujio A comprises one half of the two man operation Fujiko Fujio, most famous for Doraemon.

https://karageko.me/2017/08/26/fujiko-f ... mako-1990/

I'm not really gonna call this a review since there's only a paragraph about my actual thoughts about the TV Special itself. I added extra synopses at the end of this post because this is never going to get fansubbed or released in English. The extra synopses are there to aid anyone who is actually interested enough to go watch the raw encode on YouTube. Ordinarily I would have kept the synopsis material to just the beginning paragraph of the post.
TwitterBlog
karageko

Post by karageko »

Entry #71: Freely written, “The Time Étranger”

https://karageko.me/2017/08/29/entry-71 ... -etranger/

This is my translation (with a long preface from me) of an old column piece from the original creator and scriptwriter of both Sengoku Majin GoShogun and GoShogun: The Time Étranger, the late Takeshi Shudo. In it he reflects back upon the creation and production of GoShogun: The Time Étranger.

After spending a couple of days on translation and revision, I've finally reached a point where I feel like it is acceptable for me to publish this. Despite the source article being rather short, this was honestly such a struggle to translate. I understood most of the source article upon the first read, but actually translating it into something that resembles actual English was really hard for me. On top of that I really wanted to preserve the original voice of the piece. I'm the sort of guy that really hates leaving out context (hence my posts all being way too damn long), so having to decide when to cut out meaning for the sake of readability is stressful for me. At the same time, I'm very much against overly literal translations. I hope that the result came out okay. I don't know if I ever want to try doing something like this ever again. In this case, there's no way I could let this column piece go unnoticed. It was absolutely worth it.
TwitterBlog
karageko

Post by karageko »

Thanks to everyone who retweeted my translation of Takeshi Shudo's column piece that reflects upon GoShogun: The Time Étranger. I was originally on the fence about whether to shamelessly mention Dawn in the tweet but I decided to do so anyway because she has the power to get it out to the people who would care, and also to get it out to other people with this power. Before attempting to translate the column, I decided that if just a single person read any of it then it would be worth it. The article as of this writing has 75 views, so I'm very happy that that many people would care enough to read something like that (or at least take a gander).

Five days ago I put out an AWA 2017 experience write-up, which I SHAMELESSLY PLUGGED in the AWA 2017 thread on this forum.

I just put out an article that compiles some differences between the GoShogun: The Time Étranger movie and novel. Takeshi Shudo also wrote the novel version of the story.

https://karageko.me/2017/10/08/goshogun ... fferences/

If you have watched the movie and have any interest, please take a look. If you have not watched the movie then do NOT read the article. Go and watch the movie ASAP!
TwitterBlog
karageko

Post by karageko »

In Memory of Screenwriter Takeshi Shudo (Shin Bungeiza)

I put up my latest piece at October 29th 4:03 AM (JST) to coincide with the announcement of Takeshi Shudo's passing. It's a translation of a fan's write-up of a 2011 remembrance event that took place at the Shin Bungeiza movie theater in Ikebukuro. I put quite a lot of time into this beyond just translation to consult other resources to add more context for things that might not necessarily be known to Western audiences. I'm not exactly how much of this stuff is already known to even old school Western audiences. I'm not sure that anyone besides fans who are already deep into this stuff would have any interest but I generally avoid assuming too much prior knowledge. Anyway there are extra context notes at the end.

Anyway, if you guys have any interest at all please take a look.

https://karageko.me/2017/10/28/in-memor ... -bungeiza/
TwitterBlog