ten years of let's anime???

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

ten years of let's anime???

Post by davemerrill »

Yes, it's been ten years of me writing about classic Japanese animation at my blog Let's Anime. It doesn't feel like it's been ten years, but calendars don't lie! I have a commemorative post all about the occasion up now at, yes, Let's Anime.

http://letsanime.blogspot.ca/2017/11/te ... anime.html
logo100.jpg
logo100.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: ten years of let's anime???

Post by SteveH »

Well done and here's to many more years!

I do miss the print 'zine but like Burger Chef and Remco Toys, some things just go away and that's the way of the world.

Let us not forget, Dave, you are on the bleeding edge of cool stuff worth watching. You blog about Giant Gorg, and Discotek shocks us all by releasing Giant Gorg. I think there was something similar with the release of Orguss that happened. And StarzanS. Hoy crap bro, I think you actually made Tatsunoko release the show on home video in Japan!

I think I would fall over dead if ADV....errrrr Sentai Filmworks suddenly announced StarzanS on DVD in the USA. I really think so.

I'm waiting on word that Discotek is releasing Flying Phantom Ship. I feel it's all but inevitable at this point.

Hey, I still owe you that 'secret plans for future issues of Space Fanzine Yamato' article, don't I? sheesh. I'm useless.

Again, happy anny to Let's Anime the blog and the 'zine!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

In 2008, your blog was one of the best I knew about, along with Ben Ettinger's slightly older AniPages and Grebouri's now-gone Lost World of Anime. It still is -- as Steve pointed out, there are some things you've blogged about that everyone should know about, but nobody else seems to have that perfect storm of knowledge, readability, access, and the desire to publish. Like your article on KIKU subs -- pure gold! While I don't know the inner workings of Fred Patten's mind, I can see why someone might have thought that the C/FO would be better with you on board. (^_^)

I know I and many others appreciate what you've done and continue to do -- thank you!
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Great post, Dave. I liked that it was more introspective and talked about the operations of blogging (to which I can certainly relate). I am glad that you're sticking to writing about what you want to write about, I think your audience truly looks for an alternate take than just what's hot now. You always are able to find either some nuance or deep detail that I miss or some film that is bonkers and off-the-wall and you have a great way of telling those stories. Reading Let's Anime on the Internet for most of the last 10 years has been like being able to attend (or re-attend when I re-read articles) panels with you multiple times a year. Your writing, as well as Mike Toole's and Zimmerit Sean's, are ones I look for to better craft my own writing about anime and manga.

To many more years!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Your blog is back to being the king dog of anime blogs (since Colony Drop seemed to just die off sadly). I've used your blog as a reference for papers in school and information linked to your site on my own online writings if they are relevant to each other. But congrats on your work, since there is still so much more to go. If I find something to contribute I can let you know and you can OK it for me, I just gotta think of something that'll work for the site theme.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

thanks everybody for the kind words.

Steve, I do want to see that "Space Fanzine Yamato 2" article and an updated Tekkaman Blade piece as well! I do think that there is some kind of alchemical magic at work when Toole or Nadelman or I do a panel or a column about some lost never-licensed show, and then shortly thereafter Discotek announces it. I don't know if we're simply clued into the collective unreleased-anime unconscious, or if there are other forces at work, but as long as the shows keep coming out, I'm happy. Also I can't take any credit for Orguss, I don't think I have ever written about that show.

Mbanu, I don't know that I could have handled the national C/FO organization any better than the people who did handle it. I have a much greater appreciation for the effort involved now than I did back then, and I'm pretty sure if I'd been trying to run that club while also hold down a real job, I would have quit in about ten minutes.
Ettinger... now THAT guy knows his stuff.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

I'm very late to the congratulations party (online presence mostly disappeared because I was pretty much was extra focused the whole last month on jp study) but congratulations!

Don't have much to add on top of what has already been said. Great writing and spotlights on that which may have otherwise been forgotten to the recesses of time. Excellence all around.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog