television leaves no external scars

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

television leaves no external scars

Post by davemerrill »

well, turns out I'm an "anime expert", at least according to Canadian cable TV and their current nerd affairs show "Inner Space", on which I was called upon to talk about Japanese animation as if I knew what I was talking about! YES I'M ON TV MOM!!

https://www.space.ca/show/innerspace/cl ... 3742/1027/
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: television leaves no external scars

Post by DKop »

Who in the hell died and made you the anime expert? Or really, who Has to die for you to be the anime expert?

How did you get this gig Dave, because I wanna grow up (more) and be just like you (already doomed to head that way anyways :lol: )?
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

to be perfectly honest I got an email from the Anime North programming head, who had been contacted by an InnerSpace producer, who needed a talking head for the segment, like, in three days. And I was local, and could take the morning off work, so I said 'fine."

For those who watch Canadian cable TV the studios are in the Bell Media studios on Queen Street, the old City TV building with the car sticking out of the fifth floor, where "Speakers Corner" used to be, where MuchMusic still has its studios. I've been past the building a zillion times since I moved here and it was pretty cool to be able to go inside. It's a maze in there.

The guy who interviewed me used to work for YTV. He and the camera guy used to live in our neighborhood. It's a big city, but in many ways it's a small town too.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

Anime Expert is a hilarious and awesome title to be given on TV, and you didn't even have to cosplay to be bestowed this status! :lol:
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
DKop

Post by DKop »

I feel inspired to cosplay as the "anime expert" himself at AWA. I just gotta call everything cartoons and start every sentence with "Well, back in my day we yada yada yada..."
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Mr. Merrill:

I represent the Organization of Official Experts, and am happy to welcome you to our ranks.

Our panel has reviewed your tape and I have their notes, which I share with you outside of official channels. You will be contacted about your duties and obligations to the OOE and the status of your journeyman status within our ranks.

You did a good job, but your appearance is too... undefined. We suggest the following:

Retro Look. Suitcoat and turtleneck in earth tones. Brown coat and a tan rollneck works best on TV. Nehru Jacket is also acceptable. A gold chain around your neck is optional, but don't be gaudy or ostentatious. Subtlety is the key. A medallion with the words 'Anime' on it might be marketable.

Contemporary Look. Black Tee Shirt, no coat. Three days stubble. Manbun. Tiny glasses. A 'vape stick' or obvious placement of the most current iPhone (ONLY!) in the shot is acceptable.

Try not to call Japanimation 'cartoons'. The audience will be confused.

Vocal training may be useful. Strive to sound more like that Mike Toole guy.

More detailed notes will be forthcoming in the 'welcome' package that you should receive within the next 10 days, we hope that this is the beginning of a long and fruitful career in the Official Expert business.

Signed, that guy.

:)

Seriously Dave, Well done! I'm proud and happy for you!
DKop

Post by DKop »

SteveH wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 am

Contemporary Look. Black Tee Shirt, no coat. Three days stubble. Manbun. Tiny glasses. A 'vape stick' or obvious placement of the most current iPhone (ONLY!) in the shot is acceptable.

I almost meet this requirement, but I will not do a "manbun." Burn that mother off my scalp if ever one were to grow on my head against my will. 8-)
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Congrats on the gig! I hope you can become a regular talking head on shows about "those Japanese cartoons" and their influence on the youth. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

I was originally intending to wear the blazer and a t-shirt, but the weather has *not* been cooperating here. (For the current trendy TV presenter personality look I suggest checking out Tim Heidecker in the various seasons of "On Cinema" - he has had the stubble, the man-bun, the vaping, the obvious product placement, it's all there.)

The unexpected part was, for me at least, is that these people didn't know me, they didn't know what I looked like, I didn't get any direction on what to wear, there was zero makeup applied, what you see is what I walked in like. I mean, for all they knew I could have had Maori face tattoos or weeping cheek sores, or been totally nerded out in a kigurumi or wearing that Bleach hat or a Naruto headband or be covered in dangling anime-character keychains. I guess they're used to being flexible with their guest expert segments.

Years and years and years ago (like, the 80s) me and anime club pal Jim were on a show on the local PBS station, and it was basically the same gig, we sat on chairs and spoke in really basic terms about Japanese animation. I don't know if the segment ever aired, but I do remember some pancake makeup action. Boy, I'd love to see THAT tape.