my goodness, it's god mazinger

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

my goodness, it's god mazinger

Post by davemerrill »

Just finished a new Let's Anime all about God Mazinger, the manga of which was one of the first non-translated, straight-from-Japan Japanese manga I ever owned, and how apocalyptic and amazing it was, and how there was an anime series that wasn't quite as apocalyptic or amazing, and how even though Go Nagai projects have achieved a new level of awareness in the West recently, this one never quite made an impact.

http://letsanime.blogspot.com/2018/04/o ... inger.html
godmz1.jpg
godmz1.jpg (130.16 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: my goodness, it's god mazinger

Post by SteveH »

Another great job of course. I thought the OP and ED themes were nice, catchy and kind of mellow but yeah, not what's called for when you have a giant stone god-statue biting dinosaurs.

Hey. Is it just my imagination or is the core plot of the God Mazinger manga pretty much the same as the plot for the 'made for America' Mazinger graphic novel? Minus the ' Human pilot falls in love with the giant queen of the people he saves' sidebar of course. :)
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

As I recall in the Mazinger graphic novel, the Earth hero is the pilot of a Mazinger combat super robot during a future world war, and he gets zapped to another dimension full of giants that are Mazinger-sized, and he helps them battle monsters and then gets zapped back to his own world. It has a lot of similarities to God Mazinger; in both comics I think things like characters and plot are just incidental to getting to the parts where Mazinger destroys monsters and/or robots.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

davemerrill wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am As I recall in the Mazinger graphic novel, the Earth hero is the pilot of a Mazinger combat super robot during a future world war, and he gets zapped to another dimension full of giants that are Mazinger-sized, and he helps them battle monsters and then gets zapped back to his own world. It has a lot of similarities to God Mazinger; in both comics I think things like characters and plot are just incidental to getting to the parts where Mazinger destroys monsters and/or robots.
That, and sometimes getting BIZZAY!

If you catch my drift. :)

Yes, you have the plot of the English Mazinger GN perfectly.

It's funny how there was both God Mazinger and Govarian at nearly the same time, and both were "Ehhh, not quite the Mazinger you really want" in most eyes. Granted, Govarian was more the Mazinger Z with the numbers filed off and looked shockingly bootleg (not out of place among all those S. Korean Taikwon V (or whatever) 'I.P. harvesting' movies, ya dig?) but it still didn't seem to light the fire that good old Koji and Mazinger Z would light time and again.

*haw* as we joked back in the day at Toybox DX, it was in the category of "lay down and it's a truck now" transforming.

I still can't figure how a show featuring a giant stone Mazinger god-creature biting dinosaurs could be tedious. Somebody didn't do something right. :)