98 Degrees: Cardcaptor Sakura

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

98 Degrees: Cardcaptor Sakura

Post by usamimi »

Otaku USA asked me recently to contribute to their ongoing "98 Degrees" series about anime from 1998! Here's my article on Cardcaptor Sakura. http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/98-degr ... or-sakura/
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: 98 Degrees: Cardcaptor Sakura

Post by davemerrill »

a great article that only for a minute had me thinking that the band "98 Degrees" had performed a song for or inspired by Cardcaptor Sakura. Only for a minute.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Lol! Dave I keep forgetting that's also a band (I wasn't into boy bands back in the day so it slips my mind...) Thanks tho ;)
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Really nice article, usamimi! I think it captures the first (original?) Cardcaptor Sakura series really well. Glad you touched on that Nelvana dub, too, without ripping it to shreds (though it deserves it).

I'm not really a fan of the magical girl genre, nor CLAMP, but I really enjoyed CCS. I started watching it, because except for Sailormoon, I hadn't seen very many magical girl series and it was really popular on the fansub circuit, so I picked it up and started watching it. It was during a summer I was babysitting a couple of boys in the neighborhood during the day; they had recently discovered Dragonball Z and were of course huge into Pokemon (and I think Digimon), so I brought over some tapes a couple days and we watched some CCS. Surprising only to Fox and Nelvana executives, the boys were into it.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Thank you! Yeah, I know "cardcaptors" is looked back on fondly by a small group of kids who grew up with it...so I didn't want to necessarily say "that thing you loved was horrible" lol. (Cuz let's be honest...Nearly every anime fan has a butchered American anime adaptation they grew up with & have a weird fondness for. I don't judge!) And yup, CCS was (and still is!) fairly popular with a lot of guys I know. I think the collecting cards/creatures aspect has a broad appeal honestly, and the characters are all pretty likable. It's really not hard to see why it and Sailor Moon are consistently 2 of the most popular magical girl shows here.