the eternal orbit SSX eternal story

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

the eternal orbit SSX eternal story

Post by davemerrill »

so Xmas 2017 I got that Discotek Eternal Orbit SSX DVD set, and a year and a half later, here's my Let's Anime column on the show. This one took way longer than it should have, considering this is a show that I watched all of in Japanese years ago, wrote fanzine articles about, and generally should know pretty well. For whatever reason, getting a handle on the show was harder than usual. Anyway, here's the piece!

http://letsanime.blogspot.com/2019/06/s ... iting.html
mie-kun.jpg
mie-kun.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: the eternal orbit SSX eternal story

Post by runesaint »

Thank you for the nice read. It would have been nice to have seen what SSX was 'supposed to be', but probably the version in our heads is better than it would have been if it actually had completed.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: the eternal orbit SSX eternal story

Post by davemerrill »

I can't imagine what fifty episodes of SSX would have been like. I mean, fifty episodes that were like the pilot film, sure, that would be great. But fifty SSX of what SSX turned out to be? Holy cow, lots and lots of recycled AOMY animation, and more shots of the Arcadia blowing up boring looking spaceships. At least two more "Sargasso Of Space" episodes. Instead of shooting skinny Illumidas soldiers with big heads, they'd be shooting those bouncy guys from the Adieu 999 movie, except they wouldn't bounce because that would tax the animation skills of the subcontractors. Emeraldas would show up two more times. Viewers would switch over to "Urusei Yatsura" even faster.