Anime Hell 80s Night II: The Return

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Anime Hell 80s Night II: The Return

Post by davemerrill »

I'm back on my nonsense screening some old-school stuff at Eyesore next Saturday night, so if you're in the area come on down and get sweaty with us! I'm told the screening room at Eyesore has AC now but I haven't seen it in action yet, and I will have a cooler full of Freezies to keep everyone cool and hydrated. See you Saturday!!!
hell80spart2.jpg
hell80spart2.jpg (190.34 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Anime Hell 80s Night II: The Return

Post by davemerrill »

You fellow old school fans might be interested in how well this particular Anime Hell went; it came close to re-creating that 1980s anime club environment, but with better sound and a bigger TV, and much better copies of Iczer One.

About 30 people showed up, we had soda and beer available. It was hot so I had some Freezies (or "otter pops") available during breaks. We did some raffles and handed out prizes - a VHS, some 80s licenced-anime property comics, etc.

The audience was mostly unfamiliar with the titles. Iczer One was a mainstay of the 80s anime nerd scene but has since fallen out of favor, but I'm here to say its mix of big poofy anime character hair, grotesque slimy monsters, laser sword fighting, and giant robots punching each other still entertains.

I had to do some setup for the Rampou episode as it was completely without subtitles, but it is fast paced, has a lot of visual gags, and is one of those great cartoony 80s gag shows that is entertaining for pretty much any audience anywhere.

I've had requests to screen Mad Bull 34 before, and so this was on my list. It fits in with Eyesore's general grindhouse/exploitation/horror/action/cheese aesthetic, and while there are many, many aspects of the OVA that are super problematic, the audience took these elements in context and seemed to enjoy it as it was intended.

These three titles by themselves only filled about 90 minutes, so as an extra bonus I ran two episodes of Dirty Pair. The first episode was sort of picked at random from the Nozomi DVDs, and the second was the fan-dubbed "Revenge Of BD" episode that Pinesalad Productions made in the 80s. I was very interested in how well this particular title was going to work with a crowd of general-interest viewers in 2019, and I'm happy to say that it worked very well. Sure, there are some references to Megazone 23 that didn't work, but that sort of audience-specific reference never does work very well.

Anyway, I think it was our most successful Hell screening at Eyesore to date, with zero tech issues, a fun crowd, and great titles. My next show will be sometime when it's a little cooler in there.