I Was A Teenage Anime Club President

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

I Was A Teenage Anime Club President

Post by davemerrill »

pretty much what it says on the tin this time at Let's Anime!!

https://letsanime.blogspot.com/2021/06/ ... ident.html

cfo 1-87.jpg
cfo 1-87.jpg (310.89 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: I Was A Teenage Anime Club President

Post by Drew_Sutton »

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

When I was a teenage anime club president (in the late 90s), we ditched zines and newsletters and working with other clubs (I regret now that I never got out to an Anime X meeting). We kept copying tapes, even if it was at home instead of daisy-chaining at the meeting. We also kept getting tapes from the Japanese grocer's on occasion (Tomato instead of Satsumaya, and Rainbow Video). We still argued a bunch about ultimately, meaningless stuff. Those tips for tape duping from 1988 was still heavily used (read: parroted) in 1998.

Do you, off hand, know if the folks who ran Satsumaya, also had a hand in Tomato? I ask because the labeling for tapes, down to the genre color codes, is practically identical.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

Just curious, which shows popular back then like "Getta Robo" which people mostly got the title wrong? It reminds me of a recent splash in the Gundam community--for some recent, Netflix decided to use the ancient translation of "the Duchy of Zeon" for Hathaway's Flash.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:24 pm The more things change, the more they stay the same.

When I was a teenage anime club president (in the late 90s), we ditched zines and newsletters and working with other clubs (I regret now that I never got out to an Anime X meeting). We kept copying tapes, even if it was at home instead of daisy-chaining at the meeting. We also kept getting tapes from the Japanese grocer's on occasion (Tomato instead of Satsumaya, and Rainbow Video). We still argued a bunch about ultimately, meaningless stuff. Those tips for tape duping from 1988 was still heavily used (read: parroted) in 1998.

Do you, off hand, know if the folks who ran Satsumaya, also had a hand in Tomato? I ask because the labeling for tapes, down to the genre color codes, is practically identical.
I think Satsumaya and Tomato and Rainbow Video were all using the same distributor, is what I think.

I don't know when Rainbow Video opened but I didn't become aware of it until the early 1990s. On that side of town we would also visit Nippon Daido, somewhere around Peachtree-Dunwoody and Buford Highway. Their selection of manga was astounding when I first walked in there sometime in 1984 or 1985 - all those great Sunday tankubons of Tezuka's Vampire, Ultraman, Tetsujin-28, Space Battleship Yamato, Danguard Ace, etc. I bought a LOT of Zeta Gundam coffee chew candy from Nippon Daido.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Fireminer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:37 am Just curious, which shows popular back then like "Getta Robo" which people mostly got the title wrong? It reminds me of a recent splash in the Gundam community--for some recent, Netflix decided to use the ancient translation of "the Duchy of Zeon" for Hathaway's Flash.
Generally you might see an amusing typo changing the name of an anime title, but for the most part the names of the shows have been pretty consistent. Gundam fans need to relax.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Fireminer wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:37 am Just curious, which shows popular back then like "Getta Robo" which people mostly got the title wrong?
I guess how do you mean "wrong"? Lots of shows prior to the late 1990s got titles modified or changed altogether. Or is there some specific reference I missed in the article?
Fireminer wrote: It reminds me of a recent splash in the Gundam community--for some recent, Netflix decided to use the ancient translation of "the Duchy of Zeon" for Hathaway's Flash.
That comes from the original Japanese term for Zeon - jion koukoku ジオン公国 - Koukoku in English is a 'principality' but can also refer to a 'duchy'or 'dukedom'. Couple that with Americans not understanding how that stuff works (Ok, maybe I am projecting a bit). Some old products, like early 80s model kits, Zeon mobile suits would often have the Japanese text but also English "Dukedom of Zeon" and tripling down on the German aesthetic, Fürstentums Zeon or Fürstentum von Zeon (also a principality AND duchy).
davemerrill wrote: Gundam fans need to relax.
Yeah, that, too. Haha.
davemerrill wrote: I don't know when Rainbow Video opened but I didn't become aware of it until the early 1990s. On that side of town we would also visit Nippon Daido, somewhere around Peachtree-Dunwoody and Buford Highway. Their selection of manga was astounding when I first walked in there sometime in 1984 or 1985 - all those great Sunday tankubons of Tezuka's Vampire, Ultraman, Tetsujin-28, Space Battleship Yamato, Danguard Ace, etc. I bought a LOT of Zeta Gundam coffee chew candy from Nippon Daido.
I didn't start going to Rainbow until... the late 90s? I don't know, I could drive myself, at least. Nippon Daido was before my time (in ATL) but some place like that reminds me of my first trip to Iwase when it was in (I want to say) Roswell or Sandy Springs.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:24 pm
I didn't start going to Rainbow until... the late 90s? I don't know, I could drive myself, at least. Nippon Daido was before my time (in ATL) but some place like that reminds me of my first trip to Iwase when it was in (I want to say) Roswell or Sandy Springs.
Iwase Books was terrific; it was eye opening to see Japanese books and media outside of the corner of a shopworn suburban grocery store. Iwase's Lenox store was classy. Modern, clean, bright, well-stocked. Their Sandy Springs store was also very nice, but not as upscale as Lenox, of course. Fun fact, one of the C/FO Atlanta members worked in the office building across the parking lot from Iwase's Sandy Springs location. On the north side of that parking lot was Five Seasons Brewing, an early brew-pub opened by a guy named Dennis, who'd previously run a Yakitori place in Buckhead called "Yakitori Den-Chan" that did its darndest to bring the Japanese bar food scene to Atlanta (and succeeded pretty well). Den-chan's was a frequent destination for C/FO Atlanta and later Anime-X members. Dennis now runs a place called "Southbound" in Chamblee that's farm-to-table Southern cooking.