let's anime

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

let's anime

Post by davemerrill »

Every so often I throw up a blog post at Let's Anime detailing some aspect of classic-era Japanese anime or manga or anything that interests me, and the latest one is all about Prefectural Earth Defense Force, the 1986 OAV based on the '83-85 Koichiro Yasunaga Shonen Sunday manga. Been posting there since 2005, and I try to get one or two new posts a month.
megazone

Re: let's anime

Post by megazone »

Been a reader of Let's Anime for some time ^_^
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I just read your article on Prefectural Earth Defense Force. I wasn't aware of the original manga at all. Thanks for including scans of it! I bought the DVD when ADV was having one of their steeply discounted clearance sales. I saw it on their homepage and thought, "Hey wow, ADV released this old fansub gem?" So I bought it. I haven't watched it yet to see if they messed around with the animation at all, or to see if they include footnotes to explain some of the references. I wasn't aware this DVD costs so much these days! I think I must have spent only $10 or so. If only I was so lucky in obtaining their final two Dunbine DVDs...

Oh, and those pencil sharpeners are pretty wild!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

ADV released PEDF in this grudging, 'well, okay, we'll do this thing if you really want us to' and it sold out pretty quickly. I wish they'd released more anime using the same model - cheap sub only releases of cult favorites.

There are extras on the disc that explain some of the references, but some of the other references aren't. Probably impossible to explain them all.