Anime North 2013

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Anime North 2013

Post by davemerrill »

Oh yeah, and Anime Hell's back as well!

davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

my overall Anime North report is here::

http://davemerrill.livejournal.com/794950.html

pix here:

http://davemerrill.livejournal.com/794850.html

Short version: fun, tiring, long lines, crowded, weather was crazy. Saw some cool old-school costumes and a lot of old friends. Bought two really great cels.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Do you cover Anime North or other con as press? Help's alleviate not dealing with lines ever again (unless you're getting an autograph) or at Anime Expo...lol...
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

I'm on staff, so waving the badge around helps to get me into pretty much anywhere. The people I was with were not staffers, though. Anyway, I dislike pulling rank in that way unless it's actually necessary.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

davemerrill wrote:I'm on staff, so waving the badge around helps to get me into pretty much anywhere. The people I was with were not staffers, though. Anyway, I dislike pulling rank in that way unless it's actually necessary.
That's good you didn't have to wait hours then. Since both Anime North and Fanime are growing cons, I was just reading how Fanime had only five computers for registration and people were in line between 5-7 hours. So, good AN didn't have that type of problem this year. I don't think I have that much patience anymore for waiting long lines...2 hours maybe...but anything more than that. I'd pass.
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Anime North isn't going to grow any more until somebody builds some more hotels or they take the North building of the TCC. They have a cap on 3-day memberships (15,000) and I don't know what the caps are on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday passes, but they sold enough of those to put attendance over 23,000. They're at the upper level of what they can handle in that facility.

On the other hand their registration system is awesome. My pal had pre-registered, we rolled up at around 6pm on Thursday and he had his badge in minutes. Most people got through the line in 15-20 minutes on Friday - the big wait was for the dealers room to open, and it opened late because of some kind of medical emergency. (I DID use my staff badge to get past the checkpoints then, to get my Hell flyers up on the walls.)

I heard some of the stories about the long waits at Fanime this year. They should have their act together by now, I think.

When we were at Otakon a few years back we showed up on Friday afternoon and it took us about thirty seconds to get our walk-in badges. It was a last minute decision and we hadn't pre-registered or anything. Just walked right up. Whatever they're doing, other cons ought to copy it.