The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by usamimi »

Oooh nice! 8-)

Yeah both versions of the song are pretty high up there for me! The English version stuck with me more probably because I heard it first though, lol. :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

The english version is really well sung. It's legitimately 'singalongable.'

It's hard to put a finger on just how Fatal Fury the Motion Picture works as well as it does. If you really boil down the plot, it's totally generic. But the direction, the amusing character personalities and the music just makes this film a rollicking good time. As far as fighting game anime goes, The Street Fighter 2 Animated Movie maybe gets more hype and has better production values, but I always felt FF: TMP was the better film.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

It really is!! Ever since I recorded the ep I find myself getting it stuck in my head all the time. I forgot how much of a jam it is!

Yeah like I said in the q&a, I honestly think this movie wins out on fun factor alone. The SF movie may capture the tone of the games a bit better, but the FF movie is just so charming & just a good time I can't help but like it more (granted, I haven't seen SF I I in ages so maybe a rewatch of that is in order soon! Lol)
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

The productions spawned from CAPCOM games were top dollar, but lacked a bit of verve. I always thought the Darkstalker OVAs were too serious; Obari would've drawn monsters running wild. Based on his current list of works, looks like he is just A.D.-ing some things now.
Speaking of retro-90's artists, I'd suggest a podcast on the works of Kosuke Fujishima. He's had enough anime made that you wouldn't even need to discuss his uh, cosplay-robbing. :|
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Listened to the podcast at work today (thanks for making the day go by quickly!). All of the Garou Densetsu/Fatal Fury anime are a guilty pleasure of mine. I never saw it on Saturday Anime; I had a couple friends that had copies of The Motion Picture that I would borrow on occasion. Those tapes had some mileage on them. That dub version, even in it's cheesy nineties vibes, holds a special place in my heart. Outside of the trailers that came on the tape, the first exposure I had with the Japanese version wasn't until getting the Viz DVD.

Fatal Fury The Motion Picture was the first Fatal Fury anime I saw; I wound up buying the tape for the second OAV (where Terry fights the oft-mentioned Krauser) and took me a while to find the first one at a rental shop. One of the strengths of the film is that even though it suffers the fighting-game-adaptation trope of cramming in as many characters as possible, is that it's easy to follow and easy to understand the character dynamics. Makes it really easy to start with the last part of the series if you have to.
llj wrote:The english version is really well sung. It's legitimately 'singalongable.'
True! A lot of the dub-re-write songs don't always work out and I think The Motion Picture was the only Fatal Fury one of the anime that did it, but it's a tremendous execution. Still catchy and memorable after all these years.
labsenpai wrote:Speaking of retro-90's artists, I'd suggest a podcast on the works of Kosuke Fujishima. He's had enough anime made that you wouldn't even need to discuss his uh, cosplay-robbing.
:lol: shots fired!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

I really enjoyed your guest spot on ANNCast -- your enthusiasm was infectious! (^_^) Normally Zac kinda seems to adopt a too-cool-for-school attitude on the podcast (I guess maybe a byproduct of having to talk about anime where the plot is that your little sister who is actually a cat god is also your wife or something like that) but this time you both seemed really into the subject matter.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

:lol: Thanks mbanu! I had a lot of fun on the recent ANNcast, I always like talking about those Rumiko Takahashi faves!

I also have a new ep of my own podcast that came out earlier this week: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... ep-52.html

It's a short ReView ep so between this & the new ANN ep y'all will have plenty of me to listen to :mrgreen:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New ep went up yesterday! Talking about Goshogun The Time Etranger & why everyone should watch it http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... ep-53.html :D
llj

Post by llj »

Goshogun The Time Etranger is a great movie, but I always wondered how original Goshogun fans received it. I mean, it has basically nothing in it that has much to do with what the original TV show was about. It's so strange, surreal and artful and it pretty much can exist as its own entity instead of a sequel/spinoff of the TV series.

I also wonder how younger anime fans would receive Remy's possible Islamophobia in the movie. Though I think it's actually quite in keeping with Remy's character and personality as laid out in the film, I think there are also many fans who would see it as a negative aspect of the film.

But, that just makes the film more interesting to talk about.

Guess I'll listen to the podcast now
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

We did address both of these in the podcast actually! :lol: