The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by mbanu »

usamimi wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pmI'm honestly mentally exhausted after all of this because I spent a ton of time on both the podcast & the article, only to have people complain that the audio quality was garbage (my recording program reset to its defaults somehow & I didn't notice til after the fact), or that there's no transcript they can just read through (I'm a 1-person show and have never been asked to have transcripts ever, and as far as I know most fan run podcasts don't). My twitter got bombarded hundreds of new followers and now I feel like I need a vacation from podcasting, to be honest.
I think it's an interesting parallel to the fansub scene; here you are doing the deep diving into fandom history and people are griping about the audio quality! I mean, at the very least they could remaster your audio and then release the podcast through their own feed, right? (^_^)

Also since I haven't said it yet -- awesome podcast. Thank you for all your hard work!
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

haha, thanks for the kind words, guys. I appreciate it. I knew that this ep would get some attention, but I seem to be getting people interested who aren't even anime fans now?? it's really blown away any expectations I had, that's for sure.
Kyrant wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 pm For some reason, I didn't realize that the podcast was available on Google Play (for some reason it's the only thing that will work on my cheap garbage phone). As someone with a deep fascination about This Sort of Thing, thanks for helping to keep stories like these alive. The interview struck a great combination of history lesson and friendly conversation, both down-to-earth and almost mythical at the same time. I really hope you keep covering material like this, 'cause I can't get enough of it.
I only just got the podcast running on Google Play in Nov/Dec, so that might be why you missed it! I'd tried getting it up there sooner but for some reason my RSS feed was rejected. But it finally took it a second time! I wanted to have the podcast up in as many options as possible, since there's rumors that Apple is thinking of phasing out itunes eventually.

I'm also happy people enjoyed the interview! I didn't want it to be stiff or boring, or it'd be a hassle to listen to. So I basically treated it like any other guest episode of my podcast. It helped that Pat ended up being a genuinely nice person and fun to talk to! We actually talked for about 20 minutes before the interview and another 30 after we were done, so I ended up making a new friend out of all this too, seeing as we had a ton in common and are close in age. It was a nice coincidence, seeing as when I first emailed him I had no idea what to expect, lol.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

mbanu wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 pm
This is one thing that bugs me about the current fansub scene; a complete failure of imagination. There is as much or more stuff out there that isn't licensed and has a non-high chance of ever getting licensed, but hardly anybody is hunting it down. I was so surprised when I found out that Kōji Yamamura's "A Country Doctor" had been both subtitled and licensed; hardly any of the fine art animators seem to get that treatment, even when their pieces win awards. This also seems to be true for animated commercials and animated music videos, if they were made by a group of people who never do anything outside those areas. Usually the animators have to have been famous for something else, like Hiroyasu Ishida's "Fastening Days" commercials for YKK Zippers, which only received any attention at all because of the buzz over his final project back in college, "Fumiko's Confession". Or final projects back in college; a lot of animation colleges will just post these to YouTube on their channels, but nobody ever bothers to translate them... and that's just YouTube, once you go into NicoNico shorts the pool is even wider.

And here are fansubbers re-doing the typesetting on a Crunchyroll rip and calling it a day. (-_-)
this has nothing to do with the Anime Nostalgia Podcast, but I wanted to say that if anyone comes across shorts as entertaining as "Fumiko's Confession" or "Fastening Days", let me know because I can always use more fun animated shorts! Anime Hell never sleeps.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Nice work. :)

I didn't know that the writeups I did about the Dragon Ball fansubs had made an impact like that.
Or at least, I guess people were really fascinated by that one screenshot. ;)
If people were finding it useful then maybe I should put that content back up on the site at some point.
Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 am I also liked the one bit about the call out on "the games store in NY or NJ I went to a couple of times": That was Games and James; they not only sold their own copies of Ctennosaur and Anime Labs (as I recall but I think Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie corrected me once upon a time) but they put their own title cards at the front of the tapes, supposedly "taking credit" for the others' work.
It has been a long time since I was working on chronicling the history of these fansubs so I'm a bit rusty now,
but I seem to recall seeing tapes from them that took episodes done by other fansubbers and lopped off the opening and ending credits,
replacing them with versions with own name printed on them.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

YEAH, it's really interesting how so many people got fixated on that ONE screenshot! :lol: I guess that kind of thing was fascinating not just to older fans who always wondered what was going on, but to younger fans who probably never experienced a VHS fansub in their lives! Everyone likes a good mystery lol.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Listened to the episode and (unfortunately read the ANN comments):

I thought the audio was fine - a little low maybe but I was able to easily adjust my phone and car stereo. You can definitely tell there's a good bit of production work, care and research that goes into your show but try not to let the ANN forum haters rain on your parade; it's their loss that they can't listen to a podcast. You're doing good work.
Daniel wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 am
Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 am I also liked the one bit about the call out on "the games store in NY or NJ I went to a couple of times": That was Games and James; they not only sold their own copies of Ctennosaur and Anime Labs (as I recall but I think Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie corrected me once upon a time) but they put their own title cards at the front of the tapes, supposedly "taking credit" for the others' work.
It has been a long time since I was working on chronicling the history of these fansubs so I'm a bit rusty now,
but I seem to recall seeing tapes from them that took episodes done by other fansubbers and lopped off the opening and ending credits,
replacing them with versions with own name printed on them.
Yeah - maybe it was some combination of that. I distinctly remember the cards at the front and end of the tapes and seeing something referencing the actual subbing group within, maybe last-eipsode recaps or next-episode previews. However, remember that I "distinctly remember" these tapes from nearly 20 years ago and don't posses to check if that is truly the case or some personal Mandela Effect.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Short ReView ep while I prep for the next one: a 90s OVA about characters that make cameos in Marmalade Boy! :lol: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2018 ... ep-62.html
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

Interesting podcast on Legend of the Galactic Heroes; thanks! The mention of 4chan being an incubator for it was a little illuminating for me, as I wasn't quite sure where the old-school fans of the show were meeting new fans; usually it's a struggle to bridge that age gap. (^_^;)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

mbanu wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 pm Interesting podcast on Legend of the Galactic Heroes; thanks! The mention of 4chan being an incubator for it was a little illuminating for me, as I wasn't quite sure where the old-school fans of the show were meeting new fans; usually it's a struggle to bridge that age gap. (^_^;)
Oh, thanks for reminding me, mbanu--new episode went up the other day! Sorry I forgot to post a link here, I've been a bit busy the past week and it slipped my mind: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2018 ... ep-63.html

A lot of people in the early 00s found it that way, I forgot to mention it on the podcast but I had friends who got into it later via fan communities on Livejournal actually! :lol: Now people hear about it via social media and podcasts I assume, esp. since now there's a legal way to get it.
Kyrant
Anime Fan Since: 2003-ish

Post by Kyrant »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a very special series for me. Not only was it a huge part of my tastes changing towards more cerebral, character-driven stories, but I watched it almost literally right as I was starting college, so I associate it with some very big changes in my life. So I was really pleased to her it get such a good reflection on your podcast. You guys summarized basically everything I love about one of my favs. The overview was a good introduction to the series for the uninitiated and while I was a little sad that you didn't really get into the finer details of the series (although I completely understand why, you just can't without nosediving into spoilers with this show) there was still deep enough insight to get me looking at angles I hadn't really thought of before. So yeah, thanks so much for doing this, I enjoyed it and stuff!