The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by usamimi »

Hmm...that's an interesting idea, tho not really sure what I'd do with a topic like that, unless I could find someone who was vending back in the day to talk to. Me just recounting things I used to purchase at cons would probably be boring :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

Say, usamimi, do you have any opinions regarding the changes in the anime styles over the years? I sometimes get into discussion with people about things like they don't draw noses the days they used too. Also, just the other days I came across a "How to draw manga" book from the early 2000s. Even if the author at the time knew nothing about manga and anime, then still the perception about the styles must have had changed to a jarring degree.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

It comes up in discussions sometimes, but I haven't done a dedicated episode to that topic...I wouldn't mind doing one, if I had the right person to discuss it with. There's definitely been a shift in popular visual style trends, for the most part. While there's no singular "anime style" and many shows will be exceptions, on the whole there's generally a more softer, simplified look to most mainstream series now. I assume part of it is that it's much easier to draw those kinds of looks quickly and digitally, but also falling in line with what today's fans find appealing? Which is probably different than what a fan might have wanted back 30-40 years ago, lol.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New episode went up Friday! Sakura Wars chat with Samantha! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2020 ... ep-85.html
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:37 am New episode went up Friday! Sakura Wars chat with Samantha! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2020 ... ep-85.html
It's a good episode! I really like Sakura back when 5 came out on the PS2, though I will admit that its characters were kind of the weakest in the franchise. It such a shame that I have no knowledge of Japanese at all! Thanks god that the first game got translated recently.

Also, have you watched the first episode of Shin Sakura Taisen? I have hope for it, but the animation looks kind of rough, and the episode seems like it has been cut down a lot.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:37 am New episode went up Friday! Sakura Wars chat with Samantha! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2020 ... ep-85.html
Also, before I forget, the idea of romance and pairing characters in a turn-based strategic video game actually originated from the 4th title of Fire Emblem, Genealogy of the Holy War, and not Sakura Taisen. Actually, multiple-choice branching turn-based strategic video games really came to being in the 4th generation console, right before Saturn and Sakura War (Fire Emblem Tactics, Tactical Orge, Langrisser).

I will give Sakura Taisen credits, though. It was one of the first cross-genre JRPG and prove that Visual Novel and turn-based strategy mesh well together. Its imprint is everywhere, from Fire Emblem to Utawarerumono.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I haven't watched it yet, but I probably will at some point!

Ah, I didn't mean to sound like I was saying Sakura Wars like...invented the idea of a turned based game with a romantic element, just that it was one of the first really successful ones.😅 And me comparing it to Three Houses was more to give younger listeners (or people inexperienced with Sakura Wars in general) a reference point, since more people have more than likely played that than OG Sakura Wars in the English speaking world lol.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Before I forget, I want to mention that Sega in the mid-2000 entered a tough spot, too. It took years after the Dreamcast's cancellation for them to find back their pace, which embodied in the disaster that was Sonic 06. So Sakura Taisen got the short end was something understandable.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Posted a new ep over the weekend! Some chill, laid-back talk with 10 (actually more than 10) older anime recommendations! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2020 ... 86-10.html
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 am Posted a new ep over the weekend! Some chill, laid-back talk with 10 (actually more than 10) older anime recommendations! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2020 ... 86-10.html
For some reason I just can't listen to this episode on Apple Podcast or download it from your blog. It must have been something with my Internet, since a lot of my usual websites also have problems loading, but I still want to ask if everything at your end is normal?