The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by llj »

You and Khoda are very good together. Good flow, you guys cover a lot of info pretty organically and smoothly. In fact, I think you two would do very well in a DVD/BD commentary--Discotek should have got you guys to do a commentary track for Goshogun! :idea:
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:You and Khoda are very good together. Good flow, you guys cover a lot of info pretty organically and smoothly. In fact, I think you two would do very well in a DVD/BD commentary--Discotek should have got you guys to do a commentary track for Goshogun! :idea:
Haha thank you! Man, I would've loved to do something like that...I bet Khoda would have too! Discotek, hit me up if you ever do a new special edition! :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Oh, about french accents--I'm not a fan of english speaking actors doing french accents in general either. It's what turned me off of ADV's dub of Nadia. Most everyone is fine in the dub, but Jean going "Zis, Ze and Zat" for 39 episodes gets old real fast. I don't blame the actor (He was a kid anyway) but I think sometimes the voice directors should think hard about how it's going to work over a long series.

I think accents usually work better for supporting characters than leads.
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

Post by karageko »

usamimi wrote:New ep went up yesterday! Talking about Goshogun The Time Etranger & why everyone should watch it http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... ep-53.html :D
I finally got around to watching Goshogun The Time Etranger today, and I thought it was great. Definitely a OAV I could watch many times (and I really felt needs more than a single watch to get all the nuances). I actually first found out about this maybe more than five years ago by randomly finding the ANN page on it and for the longest time I literally only knew the title and the cover image art on it. That coupled with hey this looks like a cool older work was enough for me to have it in the back of my mind to watch eventually. I didn't even know that this was something that was beloved or particularly known by anyone.

I typically like to watch things in the chronological order of release so wanting to watch the original TV series first might have stopped me from watching this OAV for a while; however I finally got a decent confidence metric from seeing the tidbits people had mentioned about this OAV that it was unnecessary to watch the original TV series.

I had forgotten about it until I saw that you were doing a podcast episode about it with khoda, and I was like okay time to bump this way up on my priority list. I wasn't gonna let myself listen to the episode until I had actually watched the OAV because I'm pretty much Frank Costanza when it comes to wanting to isolate myself from everything anyone has to say about something I want to check out (see https://youtu.be/on35CDEjd5k). So after getting Discotek's release a few weeks ago (along with my other purchases from righstuf), I finally popped it into my BD player and watched it. Just from the first few minutes of the OAV I knew I had another work I could refer to if asked what anime have AWESOME female protagonists.

I noticed a few tidbits of the insert lighting and three times zoom, as well as colored light filters that Osamu Dezaki really loved to use in his works. Perhaps if I hadn't been going through so much Dezaki material recently I wouldn't have noticed it. I also got a bunch of Satoshi Kon vibes watching the OAV as I was trying to figure out how much of this OAV was just in Remi's mind and how much of it was actually happening, made even more mysterious by jumps between the different sections of timeline being portrayed. Perhaps the weakest point of the OAV on a technical standpoint is the last scene, which comes out particularly on the BD release; it kinda looks like it was rushed because the cels weren't completely painted? I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing this like I am.

After looking at the director credit I was like "huh I have never heard of this guy" and seeing that he did a bunch of Pokemon it was pretty puzzling.

Oh right, I should probably say something about the podcast episode. I enjoyed it and I'm glad I got to learn not only more about the background information of Time Etranger but also your and khoda's personal experiences with it! I always love to hear more about how anime reached people before my time. Also neat to hear that I wasn't alone in having the Satoshi Kon vibes (in fact reading over the Buried Treasure article and comments quite a few people had these vibes).
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I understand what you mean about wanting to enjoy something without outside influence. I like trying to do that with certain things as well.

I'm happy you liked the episode as well! At first I was worried about doing a longer ep about Time Etranger without spoiling it, but as we recorded I realized that we still had plenty to talk about, and it seems to have went over pretty well! I'm loving that so many people now seem interested in it. It's a favorite of mine that I rarely hear others talk about. :mrgreen:

As for certain scenes, I think this oav didn't have a huge budget, so they probably had to cut corners here & there. That'd be my guess anyway. While it was relatively popular, I doubt the studios thought it was gonna be flying off the shelves. Still, for its age it has some scenes that I think are truly beautiful and/or interesting to look at.

Ah I would agree that Dezaki had to have been an influence! Of course, no surprise as everyone with good taste was influenced by him back then lol. I really would be interested in hearing if Kon had ever seen this movie, because it definitely feels like it could have been an influence to him. It's a shame we probably will never know :(
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New episode! A run for of the Atsuko Tanaka panel at Animefest 2017, and then some general Lupin III talk to celebrate his 50th anniversary! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... ep-54.html
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Happy 25th Anniversary Yu Yu Hakusho!! I did an extra long ep just for you!! :mrgreen: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... ep-56.html
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Just in time for any holiday road trips for thanksgiving weekend, it's an oral history on anime penpalling in the 90s! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... ep-57.html
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Forgot to post it here, but the survey for my annual Year in Review episode is up!! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... again.html

This year I have MORE prizes to give, so fill it out and you could be one of the lucky random winners!! :mrgreen:
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Looking forward to your year end episode; I really enjoyed the pen pal episode. I never knew that was a thing!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.