The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by usamimi »

Err well, Animemaru is a parody site.....think "The Onion", but for anime fans. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm [...] I have a new podcast episode up! The start of a new ongoing series I hope to visit from time to time: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... ep-75.html
Listened to this today and I think this is a fun little series and great first episode in it. Looking forward to hearing some more of these!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

_D_ wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:43 am She is 53, so she *might* have known about anime when the fandom started up in the late 1980s. You should write to her and ask. As far as other Magical Girls series, Little Witch Sally predates SM by a long shot. That show was also available in Canada in the late 1970s/early 1980s as Mini Fee. And that show in Japan was based off Bewitched which itself was based off 2 movies (also owned by the same studio) "Bell, Book and Candle" and "I Married a Witch". Some good stuff to look into...
Bewitched? You mean the American sitcom series? That sounds cool! I don't know that they showed American sitcom in Japan far back as then - Weren't Japanese banned from going abroad until the 1960s?

Also, usamimi, I have just finished episode 61 of your podcast. It is for these little funny nuggets that I try to read more into the American fandom in the first place! I hope to hear more anecdotes from your guests in the future!

And since you have just posted a picture of Gundam Wing on Tumblr, how about making an episode about that show?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Thanks! A Gundam Wing episode is on my list of things to get through eventually, though not sure when I'll do it yet.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Fireminer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 am
_D_ wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:43 am She is 53, so she *might* have known about anime when the fandom started up in the late 1980s. You should write to her and ask. As far as other Magical Girls series, Little Witch Sally predates SM by a long shot. That show was also available in Canada in the late 1970s/early 1980s as Mini Fee. And that show in Japan was based off Bewitched which itself was based off 2 movies (also owned by the same studio) "Bell, Book and Candle" and "I Married a Witch". Some good stuff to look into...
Bewitched? You mean the American sitcom series? That sounds cool! I don't know that they showed American sitcom in Japan far back as then - Weren't Japanese banned from going abroad until the 1960s?

Also, usamimi, I have just finished episode 61 of your podcast. It is for these little funny nuggets that I try to read more into the American fandom in the first place! I hope to hear more anecdotes from your guests in the future!

And since you have just posted a picture of Gundam Wing on Tumblr, how about making an episode about that show?
No, Japanese could go abroad. Maybe you're thinking of China.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

_D_ wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:37 pm
Fireminer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 am

So, there was a prohibition about Japanese travelling abroad ... before the 1860s (pre-Meiji restoration). The closed country (sakoku) policy not only restricted foreign contact through certain ports but it also limited Japanese from going abroad or emgrating to limit foreign ideas.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New episode went up yesterday! Guest Chris and I talk all about El Hazard: The Magnificent World! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... 76-el.html
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm New episode went up yesterday! Guest Chris and I talk all about El Hazard: The Magnificent World! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... 76-el.html
Only halfway through the episode, but I want to ask whether are you familiar with the El-Hazard game. Rob Jinnai of El-Hazard Online not only translated the Window version but also made a GBA port of it.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:27 pm
_D_ wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:37 pm
Fireminer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 am Bewitched? You mean the American sitcom series? That sounds cool! I don't know that they showed American sitcom in Japan far back as then - Weren't Japanese banned from going abroad until the 1960s?

So, there was a prohibition about Japanese travelling abroad ... before the 1860s (pre-Meiji restoration). The closed country (sakoku) policy not only restricted foreign contact through certain ports but it also limited Japanese from going abroad or emgrating to limit foreign ideas.
It's my understanding that immediately after World War 2, there were restrictions on Japanese citizens traveling abroad. When Shotaro Ishinomori took his round-the-world trip for Shueisha, it was a pretty big deal. I believe Tezuka's first visits to America in the 60s also were considered fairly special events.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Fireminer wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:23 am
usamimi wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm New episode went up yesterday! Guest Chris and I talk all about El Hazard: The Magnificent World! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... 76-el.html
Only halfway through the episode, but I want to ask whether are you familiar with the El-Hazard game. Rob Jinnai of El-Hazard Online not only translated the Window version but also made a GBA port of it.
I haven't! I actually didn't even know it existed until about....5-6 years ago, I think? I keep meaning to check it out, lol.