The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:54 pm New short ReView ep! To celebrate wrasslemania, here's a weird wrassling anime XD https://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/201 ... ep-74.html
Just listened to this on the way home last night, was a good episode though I am not sure that even being a passive wrestling fan makes this show any better :lol:

There were a couple of things in the show you sounded a little unsure/confused by so I hope you don't mind me posting here. You mentioned that it seemed weird the leads had a shared residence in the training facility. I don't know how true it is now, but this was typical of larger wrestling promotions in Japan - when students are selected to train in the promotions' dojo, they often are granted room and board in addition to their training in the sport. It is a tradition that comes from sumo.

You also mentioned that Sonoda's designs are very reminiscent of the Dirty Pair. I don't know if Sonoda's design is intentional for the same reason but are you aware of the Dirty Pair's tie-in to pro-wrestling?

All in all, great episode and not a title I would have expected to hear about!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Thanks Drew! I thought I'd heared about some instances wrestlers living in their training houses, but I couldn't remember if that was true or not, and I couldn't quite get the right answers via Google, so thanks!

Oh yeah, that's why I said it was better to maybe just watch Dirty Pair, because of the wrestling connection, lol. (Plus they seemed to just....really wanted it to be very Dirty Pair-like, but failed miserably.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

It's great to see you making an appearance in Zannen, Canada! If you don't mind, can I ask how did Jesse reach out to you?

Also, will you cover more Tsukasa Hojo's works in your own podcast? I haven't heard anyone talking about F. Compo.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Thanks! Jesse just emailed me about it, nothing special. :)

I'll probably do something on City Hunter eventually, now that Discotek has the license. I'd love to read F Campo, but I dunno if it ever even got scanlated?? I feel like a lot of English speaking fans probably never even heard of it, sadly.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

While you wait on my new episode, I was recently on Zannen, Canada to talk about Cat's Eye! http://www.zannen.ca/2019/05/episode-56 ... ector.html
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Say, usamimi, did you read the Dark Horse version of Oh My Goddess when you started following the series? Was it true that the first chapter in Japan was skipped so that Urd, who appeared in the second chapter, would be introduced since the start? I am researching about Toren Smith, and it is said that he was the one who made the choice to skip.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Fireminer wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:02 am Say, usamimi, did you read the Dark Horse version of Oh My Goddess when you started following the series? Was it true that the first chapter in Japan was skipped so that Urd, who appeared in the second chapter, would be introduced since the start? I am researching about Toren Smith, and it is said that he was the one who made the choice to skip.
Yes, I did get into OMG back in the days of DH's original release. They didn't skip the first chapter--they released the first few chapters that showed Belldandy showing up & Keiichi moving out. THEN they skipped straight to Urd showing up. The reasons for that being that 1. many fans were already familiar with the story thanks to fansubs and/or Animeigo releasing the OAV, and 2. in the early days of the internet, scripts/VERY POORLY SCANNED early scanlations (before they were really called that) where being passed around of those early chapters, so they figured if they skipped straight to Urd showing up, fans would be more interested in buying the manga because they were getting more than what the OAV had, and the online translators hadn't gotten to that part yet. At least, these are the reasons I've heard from a mix of both rumors and official statements from people involved. If you can find the old vol 1 release they did here: https://amzn.to/2Wd3btr, it has that first chapter, but then goes to Urd as quickly as possible--which is a bit jarring because the art was already starting to change from what was in the original 1st chapter, lol.

I hope that helps!

Now that that's taken care of, I have a new podcast episode up! The start of a new ongoing series I hope to visit from time to time: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... ep-75.html
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

usamimi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm Yes, I did get into OMG back in the days of DH's original release. They didn't skip the first chapter--they released the first few chapters that showed Belldandy showing up & Keiichi moving out. THEN they skipped straight to Urd showing up. The reasons for that being that 1. many fans were already familiar with the story thanks to fansubs and/or Animeigo releasing the OAV, and 2. in the early days of the internet, scripts/VERY POORLY SCANNED early scanlations (before they were really called that) where being passed around of those early chapters, so they figured if they skipped straight to Urd showing up, fans would be more interested in buying the manga because they were getting more than what the OAV had, and the online translators hadn't gotten to that part yet. At least, these are the reasons I've heard from a mix of both rumors and official statements from people involved. If you can find the old vol 1 release they did here: https://amzn.to/2Wd3btr, it has that first chapter, but then goes to Urd as quickly as possible--which is a bit jarring because the art was already starting to change from what was in the original 1st chapter, lol.

I hope that helps!

Now that that's taken care of, I have a new podcast episode up! The start of a new ongoing series I hope to visit from time to time: http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2019 ... ep-75.html
Thanks you so much for your help! Also, congratulation on the latest episode? It is so nice to hear from young American artists! I hope you can continue this format for a long time in the future!

Listening to this episode makes me want to ask this, though: Has J. K. Rowling watched Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura? I guess not, since she is too old for anime, but I always have this feeling that these shows and Harry Potter (and maybe Fullmetal Alchemist?) form the perspective on the Western fandom on what is magical girl/magic school format should be in spirit? You know, the whole "Magic can not solve anything, but Love can?"
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Thanks! I think the whole "love is powerful" mindset has been around for a long time when it comes to anime--even before Sailor Moon, there were many instances of magical girl shows having that kind of theme, just maybe not as memorable.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Fireminer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:26 am
usamimi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm Yes, I did get into OMG back in the days of DH's original release. They didn't skip the first chapter--they released the first few chapters that showed Belldandy showing up & Keiichi moving out. THEN they skipped straight to Urd showing up. The reasons for that being that 1. many fans were already familiar with the story thanks to fansubs and/or Animeigo releasing the OAV, and 2. in the early days of the internet, scripts/VERY POORLY SCANNED early scanlations (before they were really called that) where being passed around of those early chapters, so they figured if they skipped straight to Urd showing up, fans would be more interested in buying the manga because they were getting more than what the OAV had, and the online translators hadn't gotten to that part yet. At least, these are the reasons I've heard from a mix of both rumors and official statements from people involved. If you can find the old vol 1 release they did here: https://amzn.to/2Wd3btr, it has that first chapter, but then goes to Urd as quickly as possible--which is a bit jarring because the art was already starting to change from what was in the original 1st chapter, lol.

I hope that helps!

Thanks you so much for your help! Also, congratulation on the latest episode? It is so nice to hear from young American artists! I hope you can continue this format for a long time in the future!

Listening to this episode makes me want to ask this, though: Has J. K. Rowling watched Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura? I guess not, since she is too old for anime, but I always have this feeling that these shows and Harry Potter (and maybe Fullmetal Alchemist?) form the perspective on the Western fandom on what is magical girl/magic school format should be in spirit? You know, the whole "Magic can not solve anything, but Love can?"
I dunno. She must know something about anime and manga:

https://www.animemaru.com/j-k-rowling-c ... -universe/

She is 53, so she *might* have known about anime when the fandom started up in the late 1980s. You should write to her and ask. As far as other Magical Girls series, Little Witch Sally predates SM by a long shot. That show was also available in Canada in the late 1970s/early 1980s as Mini Fee. And that show in Japan was based off Bewitched which itself was based off 2 movies (also owned by the same studio) "Bell, Book and Candle" and "I Married a Witch". Some good stuff to look into...