The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Anime Nostalgia Podcast & Blog

Post by usamimi »

Drew_Sutton wrote:Looking forward to your year end episode; I really enjoyed the pen pal episode. I never knew that was a thing!
Thanks! I'm honestly surprised at how well received that episode has been! I guess I might have to do more episodes on old fandom things in the future :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

If my opinion matters, I totally think you should. I mean, I like listening to that sort of thing and talking about that sort of thing, so I like learning about parts of it I wasn't ever exposed to.

Way back when, I was part of the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers Mailing List (YSTML), which to me was amazing because the membership of the list was mostly ladies and my immediate, afk, fandom circles tended to skew more male. The only times I ever wrote, pen and paper, to anyone were for tape requests, that I remember. Even a few I was really close with off-list, I think we always preferred to email rather than write. It's really cool that you had a group of friends to exchange something physical with and that your friends have kept stuff you sent them (I mean, that's what friends do!). Just a very cool episode all around.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN! The 2017 year in review episode is now up! http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2017 ... ep-58.html Happy holidays & happy new year! :mrgreen:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New podcast ep went up yesterday! A short ReView ep of a little title that recently turned 30: Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2018 ... ep-59.html
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Made more valentines cards this year! You can see em on the blog or on the tumblr account: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/1 ... ime-fan-in

The first and the last ones are probably my favorite, lol. :mrgreen:
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

New podcast episode is up! I solve the ancient fansub mystery of who is Miami Mike (sidenote: that infamous screencap originated here, back when the site was named animepast.net!) http://animenostalgia.blogspot.com/2018 ... ep-61.html

Bonus ANN article to go along with it linked in the show notes! ;)
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

this was terrific! a great bit of detective work, a great conversation with someone on the inside of the anime bootleg scene of the late 1990s, and yes, we do find out what Miami Mike did.

Time has dulled my anger at these guys, but holy heck I feel like I spent a solid decade trying to stop the sale of bootleg anime tapes. Nobody listened to us at the comic book cons, but when we started our own anime cons we were able to slam that lid down. Of course, the only thing that really stopped bootleg anime VHS was legit product becoming available.

I do kind of feel sympathy for Pat and the Anime Hurricane crowd; when I was doing the Prince Planet club, I became the focus of lots of people who really wanted Prince Planet and wanted me to spend all my time copying Prince Planet VHS for them, and after a certain point you say to yourself, I'm spending a lot of time doing this, I ought to get paid, copyrights be damned. Or you say "I ain't doing this any more," which is what I did.

I can easily see where you're in their position, you have the anime, people want the anime, you are pretty much the only way they're going to get that anime, why not make a buck off it? I mean, that's an ethical line I won't cross, but I can see how people rationalized themselves into crossing it.

Anyway, seeing as how we spent the 80s and half the 90s making unauthorized copies of everything for all comers, we aren't really standing on any moral high ground. We didn't make a buck off it, that's all we can say.

Anyway, thanks for this Usamimi!!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Thanks Dave! Yeah, it's kinda crazy the hoops anime fans were willing to jump through for anime back before we had so much access to things to watch. Subtitled by people who might not even speak much Japanese? Well, ok. Poor picture quality from being copied 10 times? Well, ok. I gotta pay $20 for it all? Well....ok I guess. Amazing what you put up with when you're desperate huh?

I think my favorite comment I've gotten so far was someone going "wow, I didn't realize fansubs existed before the internet!" :lol:
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

davemerrill wrote:
I can easily see where you're in their position, you have the anime, people want the anime, you are pretty much the only way they're going to get that anime, why not make a buck off it? I mean, that's an ethical line I won't cross, but I can see how people rationalized themselves into crossing it.

Anyway, seeing as how we spent the 80s and half the 90s making unauthorized copies of everything for all comers, we aren't really standing on any moral high ground. We didn't make a buck off it, that's all we can say.

Anyway, thanks for this Usamimi!!
It's a paid capitalist service for its time, I really don't blame the guys who were doing fansubs at the time as their only source of income or as a part time gig. If there's a need to be meet that with the minimum chance of getting caught with legal actions, you ride that train till it runs outta steam or gets derailed. With physical media you needed some compensation for buying material to send the mail since there was no way people can use the anime on their computers since not everyone had one 20 or so years ago. I understand the business side of things for those reasons, until the legal system comes into play. There's so much anime fandom has done illegally than fansubs, such as one story where the anime con Gainax was hosting in the states back in the early 90's brought their employees over to work at the con, which was a federal violation since they were handling american currency and needed green cards for that. If caught, they would've been immedietelly deported. Then again, this is Gainax were talking about.

The only difference in how fansubbers operate today compared to 20 and 30 years ago is that most current ones want donations for their digisubs because they don't like how the official ones are translated to their elitist understanding of Japanese. Everything is pretty much licensed or will be eventually with a high chances of it happening, where as back then fans didn't think the stuff they found cool would never be released. There's still some titles that meet that need for obscure anime that may or may not be touched for years or if ever based on licensing issues or that no one has the license. It's a fine line to walk, but at least now there's no reason to fansub for financial gain and should be done out of pure love by the subbers.

I feel like this deserves a mockumentary style movie to spoof the events, in the style of Scarface storytelling. As in, I need to get started on that script asap.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

DKop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 amEverything is pretty much licensed or will be eventually with a high chances of it happening, where as back then fans didn't think the stuff they found cool would never be released.
This is one thing that bugs me about the current fansub scene; a complete failure of imagination. There is as much or more stuff out there that isn't licensed and has a non-high chance of ever getting licensed, but hardly anybody is hunting it down. I was so surprised when I found out that Kōji Yamamura's "A Country Doctor" had been both subtitled and licensed; hardly any of the fine art animators seem to get that treatment, even when their pieces win awards. This also seems to be true for animated commercials and animated music videos, if they were made by a group of people who never do anything outside those areas. Usually the animators have to have been famous for something else, like Hiroyasu Ishida's "Fastening Days" commercials for YKK Zippers, which only received any attention at all because of the buzz over his final project back in college, "Fumiko's Confession". Or final projects back in college; a lot of animation colleges will just post these to YouTube on their channels, but nobody ever bothers to translate them... and that's just YouTube, once you go into NicoNico shorts the pool is even wider.

And here are fansubbers re-doing the typesetting on a Crunchyroll rip and calling it a day. (-_-)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?