Let's Anime: PlaWres Sanshiro

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Let's Anime: PlaWres Sanshiro

Post by davemerrill »

New Let's Anime about PlaWres Sanshiro, an 80s series about kids and their robot wrestling champions with fun visuals, an interesting pedigree, and a harbinger of things to come, such as Gundam Build Fighter...

http://www.letsanime.blogspot.ca/2013/1 ... tlers.html
Captainbubby
Anime Fan Since: 1990 (conciously)

Re: Let's Anime: PlaWres Sanshiro

Post by Captainbubby »

Read it and loved it!

When I get back home, I'll post a picture of that great mini handheld Sanshiro game (still in its original packaging) I saw for sale in the Retro-mall I mentioned earlier.

PlaWres Sanshiro was much more popular in Hong Kong than it was in Japan, as was Gold-Lightan. Thus, there's a definite nostalgia market for the aforementioned titles that there might not be in Japan; at least to the same extent. Still, Figma Did release http://www.yesasia.com/global/figma-pla ... /info.html that rather cool looking figure a few years back.

From what I've seen, this show has a huge Greek following as well.

I actually have this series on my portable HDD; but haven't watched it yet. Any day now!
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

From what I could tell from the research, it did seem to have a huge HK fanbase. Some of the prices on the old merchandise are kind of crazy. For years the only PlaWres Sanshiro on video I ever saw was a VCD set I picked up in Vancouver's Chinatown - never did see the DVDs for sale anywhere.

I can remember the local Spencer's Gifts in the mall selling PlaWres Sanshiro vinyl in the 80s. That's where I picked up the Mad Hurricane vinyl, along with Dunbine and Macross and Baxinger toys. This would have been 1984, 1985, so it's reasonably contemporaneous with its sale in Asia (at least with Sanshiro toys. That's kinda neat.

It's a fun show that never really got any attention here in North America, maybe I can rectify that a little.
Captainbubby
Anime Fan Since: 1990 (conciously)

Post by Captainbubby »

There's still people downloading it at BakaBT, so its nice to see people are still checking it out.

Also: Have $369 US dollars to spare?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/plawres-sanshiro

Most of these hyper expensive Sanshiro toys are shipping from Hong Kong, too. I should organize a crew and raid this fellow's house!

Also, I came across this rather great fanart; It is definitely a different interpretation, but a good one nonetheless.

_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

And here I thought this thread was going to be about Sanshiro Sugata. I guess not...
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

well, the lead character's name is Sanshiro Sugata, so in a way, this thread actually IS about a Sanshiro Sugata. Just not THE Sanshiro Sugata.