Class Of '85

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Class Of '85

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by davemerrill on 2015/10/27, 13:08:27 PDT :

Class Of '85 :

I took the basic premise of the AWA panel and turned it into a Let's Anime column all about the anime fan experience circa 1985-1990. Marvel at the fan artwork, the top-loading VCRs, and how much the DVD of Madox-01 is going for these days!

http://letsanime.blogspot.com/2015/10/class-of-85.html

I managed to dig up some interesting visuals, including some Battle Of The Planets Fan Club newsletter images. Probably going to be doing a piece on that club at some point in the near future. Stay tuned.

Originally written by DKop on 2015/10/27, 17:37:03 PDT :

Re: Class Of '85 :

Are you planning on doing a Class of '86 next year for AWA? Also, I'm not familiar with the guy on the last photo, but I take it he was part your anime club right?

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/10/28, 06:58:55 PDT :

Another awesome post as usual, Dave! I'm always so glad someone out there is preserving things like this. I really wish I hadn't chucked out so many of my old fanzines...

Originally written by davemerrill on 2015/10/28, 12:38:48 PDT :

quote DKop Are you planning on doing a Class of '86 next year for AWA? Also, I'm not familiar with the guy on the last photo, but I take it he was part your anime club right? quote

The guy in the last photo is Bill Spurlock, who passed away shortly before AWA this year. He was one of the founding members of the Atlanta club.

I don't think I'm going to be doing a Class Of '86 panel, doing the same panel year after year is not interesting to me. We'll probably have some other 70s 80s anime panels, though.

Originally written by DKop on 2015/10/28, 12:44:59 PDT :

quote davemerrill

The guy in the last photo is Bill Spurlock, who passed away shortly before AWA this year. He was one of the founding members of the Atlanta club.

I don't think I'm going to be doing a Class Of '86 panel, doing the same panel year after year is not interesting to me. We'll probably have some other 70s 80s anime panels, though. quote

Im sorry to hear that about Bill. There seems to be alot of old school anime fans I would like to meet eventually someday if time permits.

I ask about that panel idea because I wouldn't mind doing an anime style class of '86 panel if I decide to go to AWA next year. I figure it would be fitting for me in my situation, because that is the year I turn 30. Because of that, I'll have to throw in that scene from Logans Run about YOU DONT HAVE TO DIE, YOU CAN LIIIIIIVE!! in the panel. Oddly enough, I was born on the day the first Iron Eagle movie came out, and by fate I am bounded by those movies of having my interest more than Top Gun. I do have all 4 of them on 3 different video formats.

Originally written by Daniel on 2015/10/31, 10:12:26 PDT :

Way cool, thanks Dave!!!

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/07, 23:08:53 PST :

Fantastic post Dave! As usual, a great and informative read.