Tapes From The Crypt

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Tapes From The Crypt

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/10, 23:27:05 PST :

Tapes From The Crypt :

Hi all,

This is not strictly anime manga-related, but I've recently started up a new blog website as part of a project to learn more about Search Engine Optimization SEO . The focus of the blog is admittedly a bit scattered, as I basically plan on covering vintage media, toys, video games, and other related topics. I'm interested in making the website in the vein of dinosaurdracula.com, though mine will probably never be that well-done!

I decided to name the blog Tapes From The Crypt, a name that made me smile but may receive eye rolls from others. :lol: As of now, I only have a few posts. However, one is about Maison Ikkoku VHS tapes, which may be of interest to this crowd.

Though I usually stick to the web development and web design side of things, this foray into content creation is pretty interesting. I know that several other members out there run some truly excellent blogs and websites, so any advice that you might have is greatly appreciated!

Originally written by DKop on 2015/11/11, 07:27:10 PST :

Re: Tapes From The Crypt :

Dude, I am in support for your blog. I too collect tapes because they are a cheap alternative in owning anime on physical media. I would love to submit a write up on some of the tapes I do own if your interested , even the ones that are pretty pricey online. I guess I can make good use of those Just for Kids! anime tapes I own even my Macross Clash of the Bionoids signed by Mikimoto .

The name is corny, but the right kind of corny.

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/11/11, 10:23:43 PST :

Oh sweet, is this the project you were telling me you were cooking up at A-kon? I just kinda skimmed it so far, but it looks really cool! I can't wait to see what you do with this!

Originally written by Char Aznable on 2015/11/12, 13:39:10 PST :

Great idea for a blog, I'll definitely bookmark it. I like the name too, suits it perfectly!

Originally written by Daniel on 2015/11/12, 18:31:51 PST :

Tapes From The Crypt! Love it :D Curious about your collection and looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Let us know if you want feedback and or help with anything.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/12, 22:52:02 PST :

Wow, thanks for the support everyone! It really means a lot, as I was very hesitant to start this. I'll try to keep adding new content regularly, hopefully stuff that you'll all find interesting!

If at any time you have suggestions, advice, or feedback, please share! I think the people on this forum tend to do a great job with content creation and management, and I am certainly open to learning from everyone's expertise.

Originally written by davemerrill on 2015/11/13, 08:01:20 PST :

Hey, blog looks great! What software platform are you using? At some point I'm going to move my blog away from Blogger and host it myself and something like what you're doing seems ideal.

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/11/13, 09:32:26 PST :

quote davemerrill Hey, blog looks great! What software platform are you using? At some point I'm going to move my blog away from Blogger and host it myself and something like what you're doing seems ideal. quote

I believe it's a wordpress theme, if that helps?

Originally written by DKop on 2015/11/13, 09:35:46 PST :

Yea in wordpress you can do alot more in terms of design than blogger will let you. I don't feel a need to swtich over to wordpress yet, but I guess it couldnt hurt to do so eventually.

Originally written by Drew_Sutton on 2015/11/14, 09:48:53 PST :

Great work on the site so far! I followed the Twitter account so I'll be sure to drop back in! And isn't that Ikkoku dub awful?!

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/15, 18:33:44 PST :

quote usamimi quote davemerrill Hey, blog looks great! What software platform are you using? At some point I'm going to move my blog away from Blogger and host it myself and something like what you're doing seems ideal. quote

I believe it's a wordpress theme, if that helps? quote

You are correct, it's a Wordpress theme. I did a Wordpress install on my hosting site, uploaded a theme, and got started. I haven't customized it too much yet, but it is really easy to set up and gives you as much control as you'd like. I would highly recommend it!

quote Drew Sutton Great work on the site so far! I followed the Twitter account so I'll be sure to drop back in! And isn't that Ikkoku dub awful?! quote
Thanks Drew! I haven't had any major problems with the Maison Ikkoku dub, but I admittedly am no expert on the original source material. In general, the dub reminds me on Viz's Ranma dub. I'd certainly like to watch it subtitled, but the old DVD box sets are out of print and can be a little pricey. Hopefully Viz will re-release this on Blu-ray at some point!
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Tapes From The Crypt

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I've started a new series of blogs on Tapes From The Crypt called "Tales From The Thrift". These posts will chronicle my finds throughout the year, and whether or not I can achieve the goal of making more money thrifting than I spend. There isn't much anime in this first volume other than a Robotech VHS, but I think it might interest a few of the members here.

Check it out if you have a chance, and please let me know what you think!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Those are sweet deals, especially the video game stuff you got. Yea, retro gaming is now a market for people with money than what it was a decade ago. It's hard for me to stay with video game collecting since people now know there is a market for it.

Speaking of toy sets, a friend of mine found a Deep Space 9 set at Walmart that no one there knew how to price it. The full story is here: http://consumerist.com/2016/01/19/raide ... toy-costs/
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

DKop wrote:Those are sweet deals, especially the video game stuff you got. Yea, retro gaming is now a market for people with money than what it was a decade ago. It's hard for me to stay with video game collecting since people now know there is a market for it.
Retro gaming has certainly become a more expensive hobby in the last few years. For the most part, I've had to shift my focus away from the Nintendo systems a bit due to the current prices. However, there are still some great values to be found for other systems. I highly recommend picking up an Atari 7800; the prices are still very reasonable and the games are fantastic!
DKop wrote:Speaking of toy sets, a friend of mine found a Deep Space 9 set at Walmart that no one there knew how to price it. The full story is here: http://consumerist.com/2016/01/19/raide ... toy-costs/
:shock: That is a crazy story! I'd be in shock if I ran across something like that at Walmart.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I know of Joe Bob Briggs from when James Rolfe did a video tribute to him a few years back, too bad I missed out on this block:

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/09/05/a-tr ... tervision/
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

DKop wrote:I know of Joe Bob Briggs from when James Rolfe did a video tribute to him a few years back, too bad I missed out on this block:

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/09/05/a-tr ... tervision/
Very cool video, thanks for the link! Even though I'm a fan of Cinemassacre, I had not seen this before. It's too bad that I missed out on MonsterVision when it was on the air, it looks like it would be right up my alley!
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Aww! I remember watching Extreme Ghostbusters & liking it, too! But I'm definitely with you that it was never very popular...I never even recall seeing the toys around where I lived!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*