Organizing Your Media And Merch

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Organizing Your Media And Merch

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I tried looking for older/existing threads and couldn't find anything on this specific topic. I am wondering what others here on the forum are doing to organize their media collections? Felt like this was the better heading since it could apply to all merch but I am specifically looking for how folks are sorting their anime - BluRays, DVDs, LDs, Tapes (everything!).

I've been doing some reorganization in our "loft" area to make some more room for our daughters to keep some toys tucked away that we can play up there (because the living room is full already and COVID quarantines have made that room really boring to them). For this re-organization, I've moved some from one smaller cabinet into a section of a larger cabinet. Before, the DVDs/BR that were in the small cabinet were the "choice" titles in my collection - lots of Gundam, Megazone 23, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers, etc. The larger cabinet has a lot of my tapes (again broken out into a "choice" and Official Release section), other DVDs/BR with anime separated from other movies, TV, cartoons. So now all of the anime DVDs and BRs are together, but I still feel like it's some weird mis-mash of organization. It's taken me weeks to even get to this point because I was having some serious decision paralysis.

I used to separate everything by format (so the storage matches) and then organize by title (Japanese order) but I have less storage area than I used to (it feels like), so I'm not sure I can go back to that. So I am curious, how is everyone storing their physical anime? Alphabetized? By Age? Studio? Publisher? Separated by format? Anime separate from everyone else?
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Organizing Your Media And Merch

Post by usamimi »

I'd be curious to hear or see any suggestions, too--my apartment is small, so organizing is a bit of a pain. Currently I just kinda have things stuffed into wherever there's room, sadly.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Organizing Your Media And Merch

Post by DKop »

I've been putting in shelving in my room that is housing figures, media and games. And yet despite my efforts, it's still not enough in my bedroom. I think im at the point where I need to (well I've been doing this already) go through my things and sell them off. I've been doing that for a while in terms of getting rid of figures (for more figures) and games and keep the stuff I really really like. I've so far gone through a website like Price Charting and im nearly complete with my video game collection and knowing what the value of my games are like.