DIY Framing for Anime Posters

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

DIY Framing for Anime Posters

Post by labsenpai »

Since custom frames for artwork aren't cheap, here is my solution for import anime prints you'd like to display. The initial difficulty is accommodating the odd metric size the majority are cut to; my posters are all slightly larger than B2 (50x70 cm). Trimming is a bad idea, since the art or text is usually full bleed (runs to the edges). Years ago when I had access to a wood shop, making custom frames was possible. Personally, I don't want to spend the time to cut, sand, and paint frames one at a time. I'd rather buy an affordable option, and try to make it suit my needs.

IMO, the best seller of bargain frames is IKEA. Amidst the choices there is a 60 x 80cm frame in the RIBBA line, product #80378442 ($20). This fits close enough to use without an interior mat. Instead, you will use the original mat included as a cutting guide. The second purchase is a "backing sheet" made from a piece of crescent board or foam board (24 x 32 min). I bought black foam board from a craft store for about 7 bucks. The next supply needed is a light tack double sided tape, typically found with scrap-booking products in craft stores. Once the new backing is cut to match the IKEA mat, all you have to do is tack down your poster. In the photo below, you can see the removed mat and the background border created from being about 3cm larger.

IKEA also makes 12 x 12 "record album" frames that work well with Laserdisc sleeves/inserts and sign boards.
Attachments
Ikea_Mobius.jpg
Ikea_Mobius.jpg (157.09 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: DIY Framing for Anime Posters

Post by DKop »

I like the frame, I just hate the idea of going back into an IKEA for frames, because its gonna take me 30 hours to find them because the damn store in ATL is such a maze the last time I was there. I usually get my stuff from Hobby Lobby locally or Micheals, but I get the crappy ones which you get what you pay for. I got some posters I need to frame eventually I just need to spend a day finding the closest size to them.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

my uncle owned a frame shop back when I was in college, and I worked there part time for a while, and I did not frame NEARLY enough of my own pieces while I had the opportunity. I miss having access to the miter saw, especially.

I've had success with Ikea frames of different sizes, though, they seem to be the most economical solution. Occasionally I'll find still-sealed frames in the surplus stores or the thrift stores for bargain prices.
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

I'd like to get a nice miter saw, but my work table is full of plastic model mess :D
To do a decent job by hand you would need long clamps and probably a biscuit joiner too. Also, unless you have a router, you gotta buy the prefab frame sides at a craft store. One reason I picked the IKEA frames is because they look modern, and not like the kind your gram has her Norman Rockwell print hanging in. I'll update this post if I find something prefab I can miter to the strange millimeter measure.

/at least the glass company is close