Yamato 2520 plastic model build video series

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Yamato 2520 plastic model build video series

Post by greg »

I have begun a build series for the Yamato 2520 plamo by Bandai. I've never seen the short-lived, ill-fated Yamato 2520 series (or the few episodes of it that were made, I should say), but I really like Syd Mead designs. Here's the first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thHEY-zkpSE
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Yamato 2520 plastic model build video series

Post by _D_ »

You buying the 2199 models as well? Should be a ton of those out and coming out as well as the figure kits. I hear Yuki Mori is selling very well but the other girls in the series should sell equally well once they are released. The 2199 series should yield a wealth of new kits and toys, everything from ships to figures to weapons to diorama scenes. Do you have the mechanical book that was recently released? Thinking of getting that one but the cheapest I have seen it for is $40 USD less shipping.
greg

Post by greg »

_D_ wrote:You buying the 2199 models as well? Should be a ton of those out and coming out as well as the figure kits. I hear Yuki Mori is selling very well but the other girls in the series should sell equally well once they are released. The 2199 series should yield a wealth of new kits and toys, everything from ships to figures to weapons to diorama scenes. Do you have the mechanical book that was recently released? Thinking of getting that one but the cheapest I have seen it for is $40 USD less shipping.
Is this the book you're talking about? It doesn't have many favorable reviews. The lowest reviews say that the price is not in proportion to the number of pages, and accusing it of being on the level of a doujinshi. Hmm.

There has been an explosion of Yamato kits, including re-releases of older kits. Bandai's also been busy releasing new Macross kits, including Zentraedi battlepods and larger-scale Destroids. The designs for 2199 haven't really been updated much, have they? At least for the Yamato itself. I'd like to get a model of the Andromeda.

I had built a model of the Yamato many years ago, pics here. But that was when I was first starting to get into modeling, so I didn't even paint it. Since I can't take it seriously, I just bring it around to schools when I give my self-introduction and show my hobbies. I don't care if it gets broken by grabby kids' hands.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Video part 2 was uploaded in October:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-EnW09xtck

Here is the 3rd and final installment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP-C6Z5ChvU

Gallery and write-up is here:
http://stevethefish.net/life/models/030yamato2520.htm

I'm an '80s anime fan and SF fan through-and-through, and I think the decade of the '80s was the epitome of epic SF space opera. The animation I've seen of 2520 reminded me of something between Macross: The Movie DYRL and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. AWESOME.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Wow! Looks like I won't be getting that Yamato book after all and saving a wad of cash...