New Silent Mobius figures

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

New Silent Mobius figures

Post by usamimi »

Welp, I got all excited when I saw someone on Twitter mention that new Silent Mobius figures were being made...and then I took a look at them:

I'm more accustomed to Silent Mobius looking like this:

So...I'm a little disappointed. :/ What do you guys think? (I'm also sad to see that it looks like Kiddy's skintone has been lightened A LOT. It could just be the photos, I guess, but still...what's up with that.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: New Silent Mobius figures

Post by danth »

Real men by robot toys, not girly dolls.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

They're not dolls, they're figures! Dolls are for children, typically made of soft material or poseable plastic, hair to be combed, designed to be played with, etc. I have several anime figures, and they are to be put on a shelf (unfortunately to collect dust) and admired, not to be played with. I do admit that those doll-like ones that Danny Choo surrounds himself with seem a bit strange (and somewhat creepy). That's just my opinion.

On top of my computer desk, I have Revoltechs of Ironman and Buzz Lightyear, three Zeon robots from Gundam, Four girl figures from Disgaea, Asuka from Evangelion, Char from Gundam, A couple of Snoopy figures, a Hello Kitty and Rilakkuma figure, and Ayukawa from KOR standing next to Dairugger XV (aka Voltron I). It's a mix of robots, anime figures, and cute characters.
:geek:
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth

Post by danth »

Sorry guys, I was in a feisty mood when I posted that. :twisted:

I'm just jealous that these kinds of figures are more popular than robot toys these days. I went to anime expo and one of the vendors said "This is an anime convention; nobody wants Macross toys, they want this stuff" and pointed to all the naked girl figures.

My only other gripe is that now I get lumped in with perverts as well as nerds. I can barely go on Japanese toy websites at work anymore because of these dolls.

But mainly, I wish people would stop liking things I don't like.

(And hopefully you can tell I'm being facetious :D)
greg

Post by greg »

Yeah, I thought you were being facetious, but I didn't want to respond right away. The problem is that you're dealing with North American fandom. They don't know crap about anything. You could tell them your name is Dan Cougar or Doug Ram and they'd believe you. There's still plenty of Macross stuff around.

If you pick up an issue of Hobby Japan or Dengeki Hobby, the first part is all Gundam and other models, then lots of toys (most of them robots), then anime figures, and the miscellaneous stuff.

I'm going to Wonder Fest this weekend. While the Shizuoka Hobby Show focuses mainly on plastic models (and some RC cars and such), WonFes is a combination of garage kits (either figures or mecha), plastic models, and of course pre-painted anime figures and toys and such. I will take a video of the event to share with everyone. I guarantee that there will be plenty of stuff like Macross and Votoms mecha there.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I don't mind anime figures at all--in fact, I have a small collection of them. My main gripe, though, is that 1. these figures hardly look a THING like Kia Asamiya's original character designs (dare I say, they look "moe"-fied), and 2. We finally get new Silent Mobius figures after all these years and of course they're SWIMSUIT ones. -__- So all around, they're a huge disappointment to me. I love Asamiya's original character designs because they're strong-looking women with thicker body-types than most anime females...but I suppose that compared to today's anime girls, that goes against the grain too much and we have to make them appeal to whoever's buying figures TODAY so they'll sell...sigh.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, they hardly look recognizable. To make it worse, they made their boobs go OUT TO HERE--------------->.

Several years ago, I bought a set of Dirty Pair figures (I believe they were made by Wave?) that were released to coincide with the Dirty Pair box set. While not as disappointing as these Silent Mobius figures, these DP figures were recognizable, but once I got them in my hands, I was a bit disappointed. Sure, Kei and Yuri are considered to be busty, but these things' boobs were like balloons. (On top of that, they made Yuri "bigger" than Kei, and any DP fan knows the opposite to be true). I hate to see classics get modernized, and these Silent Mobius figures are an example of that.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth

Post by danth »

greg wrote: You could tell them your name is Dan Cougar or Doug Ram and they'd believe you.
Ha, nice! Looking forward to your Wonderfest report.