Nausicaa and Ohmu plastic model by Tsukuda

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Nausicaa and Ohmu plastic model by Tsukuda

Post by greg »

I started this over 2 years ago, but it's been on mostly hiatus for the past 2 years. I've vowed to get back to working on this. Here is the playlist of the build videos I've uploaded so far to Youtube. This past weekend I started working on it some more.

The first phase is now completed! The next stage will be to put together a diorama. I've never made one, so I'm a bit nervous.

This model was made by Tsukuda. It was later reissued by Bandai, which I believe retooled the molds a bit and improved Nausicaa's face. Mine is the original.

I've used Testors Model Master Acrylics, Model Master Enamel (sand), and Testors basic gloss enamels. Nausicaa and her pet were painted with Delta Ceramcoat acrylics.

I went over the Ohmu with several different mixtures of blues, grays, and greens. I originally had the bug way too green, so I tried to match the color to that in the movie with a wash. However, that scene is at night, so the color was too blue. So I gave it a was of Model Master Neutral Gray enamel and it looked perfect. I then drybrushed it with Model Master Sand enamel to simulate the dirt, mostly focusing on the lower part of the insect and its legs. The insect's blood was first a mixture of Testors gloss black and gloss blue, and then another coat of just blue. I also went for a cartoon-y looking blood for Nausicaa where she'd been shot, opting for Testors gloss red. I figured that she'd have both her own blood on her hand where she'd clutched her shoulder, as well as the Ohmu's blue blood.

I have some Mr. Hobby diorama clay to build the island with and form it over a square piece of styrofoam. I also bought Tamiya Clear Resin to make some water in the corner of the square piece. I've just never worked with clear resin before. I also have some model railroad ballast to use for sand.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Nausicaa and Ohmu plastic model by Tsukuda

Post by usamimi »

Very neat! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with the diorama. :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*