The Show Off Your Figures/Models Stuff Thread

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Show Off Your Figures/Models Stuff Thread

Post by usamimi »

Holy cow! So jealous Greg, that's awesome!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Love the KOR shirt! Nice find Greg!
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Just built the RX-78-2 from the Gundam HG 1/144 "Revive" line. This is my third Gundam model I've done and, by far, the easiest one yet. Very little detailing required, since the original design was relatively simple. Though the box art and instructions didn't show it, in the anime, the Gundam had yellow highlights inside the vulcan gun ports, which I colored in.

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Oooh looks really nice! Great job.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I think the next kit I may build will be the version of the Gundam from Gundam the Origin, but I will give that some time:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-RX- ... B014SCW9DQ
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Char - that kit looks really nice. Is the "Revive" line similar to HGUC? Seems like it would be.

DKop - Is that RX-78-2 totally grey and requires painting (unique for a 1/100 or Master Grade equivalent) or is it greyscale to give you the feel of the recycled paper the serialized manga is printed on :lol: Good job on Bandai/Sunrise for making an RX-78-2 that I would almost buy.

It's kind of my shameful GunPla secret that I actually hate the RX-78-2. I can't explain what it is... I like plenty of other Gundam suits - the Zeta, Nu Gundam, Sentinel and the RX-178 Mk II (Titans Colors) are some of my favorites but the original Gundam? Nope, no real desire to build or own one. Probably if I did, I'd build it out as a diorama from the final battle at Ao Bao A Qu.

I know this is a show-off your stuff thread, but by any chance, did anyone else catch this interview on ANN? It's about GunPla marketing and distribution (worth the read) but there was one question that stuck out in that interview:
TFA wrote:In our April interview, you said “I'm more of the fan of the Gunpla product than a fan of Gundam itself.” Can you tell us why you're such a big fan of Gunpla?
I feel like this has long been the case with me, too, in so much as I was exposed to modeling and Gundam models before I could reasonably access any of the Gundam media. And while my fandom around Gundam has waxed and waned over the years, GunPla is always something I've been able to come back to. Anyone else feel the same way? If this warrants it's own, larger discussion, I'll happily start a thread and this one can get back to pretty pictures and feedback.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Drew_Sutton wrote:Char - that kit looks really nice. Is the "Revive" line similar to HGUC? Seems like it would be.
Revive is part of the HGUC line, but features retooled molds and proportions. Supposedly they're supposed to have improved articulation, but it seems equal to my Gundam Exia and Burning Gundam from the standard HGUC series. My favorite part about the Revive series is that they all feature the so-called "Kusabi gate" feature that allows the plastic pieces to be removed from the runners with relative ease, and without leaving much of a nub mark. Though there's still some sanding involved, it's pretty impressive how little needs to be done.

Truthfully, I may only pick up the Revive kits from here on--as the sanding aspects were my least favorite part of Gunpla building.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

^ Very cool.

I've got some more V2 Love here with my recent WIP, HGUC 1/144 Victory Two Assault Buster. I did some quick shots of it after I did final assemblies but before I coated it with Top Coat. No painting on this one though I have just about mustered the courage to tackle some kits that require painting after we get moved into the new house.

Main unit assembled and attempting poses.
A bit of a closer view.

Finished a quick assembly of the core fighter and beam rifle; vanity shots for a local GunPla club I am joining.

Top Coat should all be dry tonight, so I'll get a couple pics of it with that glossy sheen on it.

This was my first HGUC kit and my first 1/144 scale kit since probably 1999 or 2000. Coupled with that the late Universal Century mobile suits (UC012x ~ UC015x) are smaller than earlier Universal Century mobile suits made for a difficult but still fun build, even if I'm not happy with all of the panel lines on it. Still have a bit of backlog I need to get through but seeing as I haven't been thrilled with a lot of Master Grade kits lately, knowing that I can go to HGUC and still have a lot of fun with them.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

yea i got that same kit built maybe last year or so, but ive noticed in the last few years that HGUC have stepped up their game with more detailing instead of "giant plastic piece A go with giant plastic piece B, ok only 5 more steps and your done." It seems that the detail for all the little parts reminds me of early MG units that had all that little stuff to go with it, and even now MG have more smaller parts for more details. :o
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote:yea i got that same kit built maybe last year or so, but ive noticed in the last few years that HGUC have stepped up their game with more detailing instead of "giant plastic piece A go with giant plastic piece B, ok only 5 more steps and your done."
Yeah - that is what I remember from a lot of the HG and other 1/144 kits I built way back when, which was the biggest reason I stepped up to the MG line - I wanted something bigger, more detailed and over all a little more difficult build. While I need to get used to working at this small of a scale again, I am gonna start looking around for some more HGUC kits I like.
DKop wrote:It seems that the detail for all the little parts reminds me of early MG units that had all that little stuff to go with it, and even now MG have more smaller parts for more details. :o
Aw, crap... XD

I think all of my MGs have been older kits; since I was never a huge fan of the 2000s era shows, I never bought kits for them. While I like Unicorn, The Origin and what little I've seen of Thunderbolt, I don't have any of those kits. Maybe I will see if I can get one or two of those on a shopping list, too.

Or I guess it's time to go all-in on a Real Grade kit.