The Show Off Your Figures/Models Stuff Thread

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: The Show Off Your Figures/Models Stuff Thread

Post by greg »

Wow, so much to reply to! I'd forgotten about the Megazone 23 Garland model. Aoshima made that! I have their Priss+Motoslave bike model, but I've yet to build it.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Here are videos of most of my Saint Seiya figure collection. I still have yet to collect the EX series

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v20988929Chw5S5zs
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v20988930yYbh4Krm
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v210074152w5SAajA
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

So, I've been meaning to set aside some time to take a whole bunch of pictures since last posting in this thread, I finally got around to it.

I only had a few kits completed and unpacked. I prefer to do Master Grade (or equivalent) kits, so that's what a lot of these are. A couple have been victims of falls, most recently victim to our newest cat after we first got him.

Like my Deathscythe Hell Custom here. I built him in late middle or early high school, about when I started watching Gundam Wing. He managed to have the least amount of falls and was in the best condition when I moved out for Uni that he came with. Speaking of stuff I built early on...

When my folks visited for my birthday a few weeks ago, my mom came equipped with a care package from Operation Get Your Shit Out Of My House. A lot of these have been built but had some falls, breaks or need to be touched up before they get displayed, either at home or work.

I have several of these SD Gundam kits like this one here. I got a few of these just because I wanted a quick model fix; don't really know how much more I want to hang onto some of these...

As I work through my backlog, I hope to be able to post some more pics. Especially since I'll be doing a PlaMo panel at a convention next month.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg

Post by greg »

Neat stuff! Don't MG Gundam kits fall apart real easily when you touch them and try to pose them? That's what I've read online. Some guys give up on them because they're so flimsy. Especially the transformable ones like the Zeta and such.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Got some new Saint Seiya figures before taxes go up on April 1st
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

greg wrote:Neat stuff! Don't MG Gundam kits fall apart real easily when you touch them and try to pose them? That's what I've read online. Some guys give up on them because they're so flimsy. Especially the transformable ones like the Zeta and such.
In my experience it really depends on the age and kit itself. I had a Victory 2 that was a "HGEX" line; same size and complexity as a Master Grade but not explicitly labeled a MG. It probably came out as the show was airing or shortly after it wrapped ('93 - '94ish) and was easily 5 years old when I bought it. It was fairly stable in robot/humanoid form but did break when a friend was trying to transform it.

The Zeta MG, which was one of the first of the line IIRC, was notoriously awful on all accounts. So bad that Bandai went back and made a Zeta Version 2. A buddy of mine has both versions and says that the 2 is much, much better than the first. The MG line is so big that it's hard to remember any kits that are specifically bad like the Zeta one. Of all the MGs I have, I can't think of any that are specifically flimsy or cheap-y and I don't think I'm on some weird winning streak selecting kits - the only interest I need is to like the suit. I think flimsier construction is one of the engineering trade offs you have to make when designing a transforming kit; if it's too rock-solid and sturdy, it's a PITA to transform. It sometimes can be difficult to get the pose exactly as I want but I can usually get something that's good enough for a bookshelf in the basement.

The reason I mention age, too, is that before Bandai solidified their different grade lines (High Grade, Master Grade, Perfect Grade), there was a really wide variance in plastics used. Probably the kits I had the most trouble with were 10 years old when I built them in the late 90s/early 2000s from Sentinel and F90/91. I have another F-91 kit in my unbuilt pile (waiting for warmer weather so I can do all the required painting outside) and I can already imagine that is going to be a bear because the plastic is pretty low quality.
greg

Post by greg »

I built the 1:100 V2 Buster Gundam about 10 years ago. It was my first Gundam ever made. I never tried transforming it, though. I then built the 1:100 F91. I didn't notice any problems with plastic quality, but then again, I was just getting back into modeling at the time and wouldn't know otherwise.

So how about the Gundam Sentinel kits? I have two, but have yet to build them. I've been on a real Gundam hiatus for a while. I got tired of building Gundam kits. Actually though, last weekend my little daughter helped me put together a GINORMOUS 1:60 scale V2 Gundam! It's not a PG at all. It's more like the original 1:100 scale kit that's been enlarged. Now that it's assembled, I want to sand the parts, then prime and paint it.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

greg wrote:So how about the Gundam Sentinel kits?
I have two - one for the main Sentinel Gundam suit that came out about 1990 or '91 in 1/144 scale. I built it in either 1998 or '99. The red, yellow and blue plastic is really vibrant but the white is like a dirty grey. I remember it taking me forever (probably a couple of days or a week, back when I could do a High Grade in an afternoon), it has a ton of parts an accessories but posing and keeping it is kinda tricky. I don't recall the plastic being uniform; some pieces were thin and flimsy while others weren't. My second kit is the MG, 1/100 Sentinel. It is unbuilt, for one reason or another... I need to probably look at the kit again and see why, like if it needs some paint or if it just looks to be time intensive.
greg wrote: I didn't notice any problems with plastic quality, but then again, I was just getting back into modeling at the time and wouldn't know otherwise.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I started building models in elementary school in the early 90s but they were usually airplanes from companies like Revell of Monogram (maybe a couple of others) so while there may have been issues with plastic, I never noticed. It wasn't until I had been into anime for a little bit when I was older that I found Gundam models (before I even knew what Gundam was) and picked it back up again. Honestly, I didn't start picking up on variances in plastics until I been only buying Master Grades exclusively for a few years and then started buying the pre-grade stuff of kits I liked (or properties that had a really weak MG presence).

Also, when you have that 1/60 V2 cleaned up and ready for a photo op, I would love to see it in this thread and I am sure a bunch of others would, too!
greg

Post by greg »

The two Sentinel Gundam kits I have are the Full Armor Double Zeta Gundam and the Booster Unit S-Gundam. The latter one is pretty awesome. Like the Zeong, it doesn't have legs and has boosters instead. Pretty badass. There's another version of this, which unfortunately was never made into a model, that's called the "Deep Striker" or something. It looks the same, but has a massive cannon and some big honking radar dish or something on its back. There's an article with pictures of it here.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

greg wrote:The two Sentinel Gundam kits I have are the Full Armor Double Zeta Gundam and the Booster Unit S-Gundam. The latter one is pretty awesome. Like the Zeong, it doesn't have legs and has boosters instead. Pretty badass. There's another version of this, which unfortunately was never made into a model, that's called the "Deep Striker" or something. It looks the same, but has a massive cannon and some big honking radar dish or something on its back. There's an article with pictures of it here.
Back in my teens, I always saw FAZZ (Full Armored ZZ) kits for sale and never liked the design or anything, so I never bought them. But, for the past couple of months, I've been thinking about building one (guess some of my tastes have changed) but they are always backordered or on a restock next quarter.

The Booster Unit looks neat, even though I typically don't like the mecha without legs...