Woot loot bragging thread

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Woot loot bragging thread

Post by greg »

In contrast to the Lucky finds bragging thread in the Old Days section, which is focused on finds from the old days, this will be a thread for recent acquisitions for any anime in general, not necessarily older items and such.

Here's what I bought on my last trip to Osaka. Click the pics for larger versions:

Yamato bath towels!

Yamato 2199 jigsaw puzzle
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Woot loot bragging thread

Post by usamimi »

Wow, really cool! :D heehee, Yamoto bath towels...his and hers, even! XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:Wow, really cool! :D heehee, Yamoto bath towels...his and hers, even! XD
Yeah, except I'm the only one using them! :lol:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

I uploaded this a month ago, but I'll post a link here too:
Yamato 2199 Girls Collection Misaki Yuria-chan figure by Megahouse unboxing video.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

I recently scored a set of four SF space opera anime movie pamphlets: Macross: DYRL, Galactic Patrol Lensman, Be Forever Yamato, and Crusher Joe!

Here's the video on Daily Motion.

Here it is on YouTube.

I typically just take pictures to upload to my homepage or my Flickr account, but I decided to just make a video instead. I also put in a plug for the site and forum here. Since I have over 2,000 subscribers, I'm bound to appeal to somebody out there who may be interested in the forum here.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

At last, I now own the Macross: Perfect Memory book! I last saw this in Mandarake in Nakano two years ago when Dave and I went there. I recently bought this for a reasonable price, because it does not contain the poster or the postcard. I never cared for the poster anyway.

Macross Perfect Memory

It has that "vintage Japanese book smell" but without the tobacco smell. I first saw this book when I was in high school There was this older guy named Ry I had met who was like my anime mentor. He was in his early '20s, IIRC. Ry had this book, and I've always wanted to have this book for my own. It only cost like 2000 yen or so off of YAJ.

HAPPINESS GET!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Wow, great pick up! :D That's not a bad price, either, considering how old it is!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Tell me about it! Even better, the guy let me wait a few weeks until my pay day to pay him for it. He was like, "Yeah, sure. Just bid on it and you can pay me back three weeks later." YAJ sellers are way cool. Sometimes they even send the merchandise before they receive payment.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:Tell me about it! Even better, the guy let me wait a few weeks until my pay day to pay him for it. He was like, "Yeah, sure. Just bid on it and you can pay me back three weeks later." YAJ sellers are way cool. Sometimes they even send the merchandise before they receive payment.
It's an excellent book and without question a benchmark for other books of this kind to be measured against, the OUT Magazine staff really put 100% into the 3 books they did (that I know of. Macross, Vifam and the thinner Votoms Odyssey).

There's really some story to be told about the 'rise and decline' of the... there's no good agreed to name for these books, they're more than just 'making of', 'Art book' doesn't fit as those tend to be more about pin-up pics of (most often) MOE fluff, There's more than just establishment sheets inside so that doesn't work, and I am LOATH to do the lazy thing and try and tag 'Roman Album' as a generic term (as ignorant people do with 'Xerox' for photocopy and 'Kleenex' for facial tissue). Some do do that. Not me.

But here's a thing. Check the publishing date inside. There's been a surprising reprint run recently, otherwise un-marked as such (maybe on the obi). Not that it really matters as far as your ownership is concerned, but if you thought this was vintage 1984 and it's not... Well, at least you didn't pay 'rape my childhood' price. :)

Dang. Now I'm obsessing over needing the 'blue cover' Storyboard and Establishment Sheet book. Have had the 'red cover' volume since the '80s but the 'blue' volume was sold out at Books Nippan before I even found out it existed. argh. :)
greg

Post by greg »

Books Nippan, aka "Crooks Nippan"! I actually visited their downtown Los Angeles store a couple of times back in the late '90s. I don't know when they eventually disappeared at last, but they were a pioneer in the anime goods retail industry. I do remember seeing stuff like soundtraks and other such merchandise for better prices at Kinokuniya and Asahiya Books in Little Tokyo, though. People on rec.arts.anime and elsewhere would complain about their prices, but back in those days, before the Internet had fully established itself, it was difficult and expensive for me to buy import stuff from anywhere, be it Shonen Knife CDs from Japan or Peter Schilling CDs from Germany.

So what is this red cover/blue cover storyboard book you're talking about? Do you have pics? I may be able to help track one down here.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page