So here is my very first YouTube video, of my otaku room/nerd cave:
I'm at work now, so I can't test the link, but I believe that is it. I made a couple of updates to that video while I still lived in that house. I can provide those later. I then made a new version when we moved into an apartment in 2011. Now that I live in Japan, I have shot some videos of some of the stuff in my new nerd cave, but I haven't done a comprehensive video of it all.
In my nerd cave, I have the following:
- My entire video game collection in racks along the wall
- A tall shelf full of anime DVDs from floor to ceiling
- A shelf of boxed plastic models (most unbuilt, but many built because I don't throw away the boxes because I'm an OCD sperg or something)
- A nice display case with glass doors for anime figures and built models
- a computer desk (also home to several figures, robots, and other stuff)
- my hobby desk, home to all I need for building plastic models and beadsprite art
- My wife has a small computer desk in one corner for her 12 year old laptop that needs to be replaced
- On the walls are various anime and video game posters, as well as Perler Bead sprite art I've made of various game and anime characters and such.
- A TV to watch stuff with or play games with, although I do watch DVDs on my computer.
- My video game consoles (those are connected to the TV in the living room, which is usually held hostage by my wife and child)
- My video game controllers and accessories (those are in the closet in the living room)
- My SF novel and manga collection (those are in booshelves in the bedroom
- My anime and game soundtrack selection (those are in the hall these days because I've no other place to put them
- My regular DVD collection (those are in a shelf in my living room)
The other good thing about having a nerd cave is that if we have some normal people over, I can just close the door to the nerd cave and try to pretend to be normal and talk about whatever the hell normal people talk about and pretend to be interested in those things. This usually takes a lot of energy and I may require a nap afterwards, but at least I won't freak out the normal people if their brains can't handle the fact that anybody would be interested in the stuff I like.