Do you have a "nerd cave"/"otaku room" at your place?

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Do you have a "nerd cave"/"otaku room" at your place?

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

greg wrote:Ah, nuts. I thought I could plug in RCA or S-Video cables into it...
I believe you can, but you're still starting with a lower-quality source signal, so I'm not sure how it would perform. Are the RGB cables particularly difficult to obtain in Japan? I thought they might be a bit easier to find.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Well, RGB cables are probably relatively easier to get here, yet they are still difficult to find. I was actually looking for Nintendo D-Link cables since they can be used for anything from a SNES to a Gamecube. I couldn't find any on YAJ. Maybe scouring Akihabara may be more fruitful. D-Link is a Japan-only connector. My old Toshiba CRT TV I brought to America with me when I moved back had one. Eventually, televisions here stopped supporting D-Link once HDMI became the international standard.

The problem is that some game systems need to be modded for RGB, such as a Megadrive or PC Engine. I believe there are RGB cables for the Super Famicom, Saturn, and such. I really cannot complain too much with how S-Video looks on my TV. Unfortunately, S-Video is no longer supported on televisions. I had to buy a used TV in order to get one that has an S-Video input.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

greg wrote:Well, RGB cables are probably relatively easier to get here, yet they are still difficult to find. I was actually looking for Nintendo D-Link cables since they can be used for anything from a SNES to a Gamecube. I couldn't find any on YAJ. Maybe scouring Akihabara may be more fruitful. D-Link is a Japan-only connector. My old Toshiba CRT TV I brought to America with me when I moved back had one. Eventually, televisions here stopped supporting D-Link once HDMI became the international standard.

The problem is that some game systems need to be modded for RGB, such as a Megadrive or PC Engine. I believe there are RGB cables for the Super Famicom, Saturn, and such. I really cannot complain too much with how S-Video looks on my TV. Unfortunately, S-Video is no longer supported on televisions. I had to buy a used TV in order to get one that has an S-Video input.
It's definitely true that some systems need to be modded. Some of the mods are simple, others are much more difficult. However, a surprising number of systems are ready to go with no modification needed, including the Genesis/Megadrive (other than the model 3).

It's unfortunate that televisions are dropping support for S-Video, so many systems supported it as a standard.
greg

Post by greg »

Yep, and my LD player is S-Video too. Making a move to higher technology is rather uncomfortable.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I just moved last November and I decided to leave the majority of my collection in storage. My new place is larger, newer, and nicer than my old apartment. When I did have DVD's on display at the old place it was on a large DVD cabinet that almost covered half of a wall. MY DVD's are most of what my nerd cave contains. I keep most of my stash in storage for security reasons. I mean in case of theft, fire, or eviction I will have my Lion's share of anime, books, CD'S, and manga in a safe place. I just have a few items I use for art or choice DVD's in my new place which is greatly under furnished due to my rush to move in before my last landlord drove me completely up the wall. He either did not fix things or did a horrible job for no good reason. I digress.

I have a small inner room in my new place I intend to use for drawing, reading, and otaking. I live alone, but I would like a nerd cave just for fun.
***^__^***
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Thanks for all of the information and advice with my TV situation. Before I start researching a recycling solution for the old CRT, I'll test with the LCD and make a decision from there. Also, thanks on the compliments for the room itself. It's comfortable and cozy to spend time in nerding it up.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg

Post by greg »

I made a Tumblr photo collection for my nerd cave, focused on modeling. You can see plenty of other stuff in the background, though:
First page
Second page (here you can see my model kit stash (plenty of anime kits) as well as my display case for anime figures and such.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

greg wrote:I made a Tumblr photo collection for my nerd cave, focused on modeling. You can see plenty of other stuff in the background, though:
First page
Second page (here you can see my model kit stash (plenty of anime kits) as well as my display case for anime figures and such.
:shock: Wow!!! Greg, your cave is fantastic. As soon as I saw those pictures, I was instantly jealous!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Greg, that model kit collection is something else! Are all of those un-built or have you assembled them? Model kit backlogs are one of the few points of contention between my fiancee and I; finally gotten mine down to a manageable level. I showed her the pics and her immediate response was "Don't even think about it. ;) "
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Fantastic collection, Greg! I see Kei and Yuri from the Dirty Pair in one of your tumblr picks, are those statues, model kits or figures? They look amazing, especially in those poses.