Hello from Kansas

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Re: Hello from Kansas

Post by Heibi »

kndy wrote:Hey Todd!!! KNDY from California....hope you are well! Haven't spoken to you, Brain or Hiroaki in awhile but I hope all is going well!!!!

Remember this...

Todd was my source for fan subbed anime back in the day and Hiroaki fed my hunger towards Japanese entertainment.
Looks like the image didn't make it through. But if you are who I think you are, Hello again!
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

I would be remiss if I didn't show this.
Attachments
20 years of my life.
20 years of my life.
DSC00417.JPG (144.71 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Heibi wrote:
kndy wrote:Hey Todd!!! KNDY from California....hope you are well! Haven't spoken to you, Brain or Hiroaki in awhile but I hope all is going well!!!!

Remember this...

Todd was my source for fan subbed anime back in the day and Hiroaki fed my hunger towards Japanese entertainment.
Looks like the image didn't make it through. But if you are who I think you are, Hello again!
Forgot...we put a code to stop people from stealing bandwidth from our site...lol.... Anyway, man I haven't seen you guys since Anime America 1995. I think I last communicated with you in the late '90s and you were assisting a convention, while I last communicated with Hiroaki who at the time was working for an anime company in the US. That was maybe in the early 2000's I think.
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

Hiro is still in the US. He and his wife live in Houston. He's doing translation work for an online company now that ADV kicked the bucket. Plus a few translations for us when we need them.

Brain bought a house for himself last year. He still delivers pizza.

Ah, in less than 48 hours I'm on my way to Tokyo. 8-)
Attachments
The view from my room the last time I was there in 2011.
The view from my room the last time I was there in 2011.
DSC00104.JPG (134.14 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Glad to see the happy reunions. :)

Heibi wrote:Here are my fansubbing devices.
Beautiful...! The old equipment is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

One idea that's been on my mind for some time now is to do a feature on how VHS fansubs were made. Perhaps a little video tutorial that shows all the equipment and takes the viewer through the process, maybe while actually subbing some short portion of a show. I think that preserving this is very important for our fandom. And, as an added bonus, hopefully such a thing would attract a few more old timers over to our little retirement home here. ;) I've been scrounging around eBay looking for cheap Amigas and related equipment, but if you've already got the stuff, then that would make everything easier (not to mention the fact that I myself was never a fansubber, so I'd have to learn to use everything).

Would that be something that you'd be interested in helping out with? (sometime after the Japan trip, of course)

Anyone else interested in helping?

Heibi wrote:I would be remiss if I didn't show this.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say thank you for all your hard work over the years. My apologies if you've heard this a million times before, but without guys like you, this country really wouldn't be what it is today.

kndy wrote:Forgot...we put a code to stop people from stealing bandwidth from our site...lol...
You could post them as attachments to your message, or give urls.

Heibi wrote:Ah, in less than 48 hours I'm on my way to Tokyo. 8-)
You have my best wishes for a safe and pleasant trip. Make sure to keep us updated...!