Hello!

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Nortavlag
Anime Fan Since: 1990ish

Hello!

Post by Nortavlag »

My name is Patrick & I got into anime in the 80s without realizing it.

I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska where they had this anime channel 14 that would show all kinds of japanese animation such as Robotech, Frankenstein, Dracula & other anime versions of religious tales. When the channel went away, I didn't really know where to find anything else like it. I got back into the scene when a friend of mine (Armblessed) introduced me to Ranma 1/2 which I watched until I felt that it had "jumped the shark" and the animation quality had gone down. During this time period I was exposed to several different shows that blew my mind (Ninja Scroll, Project Ako, Ghost in the Shell). I had no idea that there were gritty, mature cartoons out there.

I tend to prefer science fiction/mecha anime like SDF Macross, Mospeada. I love the hand-drawn animation style of the 80s releases. I have tried to keep up with current trends, but really don't feel like I "get" what is produced these days. I often find myself simply taking this time to catch up on shows that I missed when they were first introduced in the states. I like watching anime from that period because it takes me back to when the style was exciting and unique. I was an active member and moderator on Macrossworld.com for several years and got into it right after the forum moved from alt.fan.macross. I don't have quite the amount of time I used to, so years ago I gave up moderating and only rarely visit the forums.

Armblessed told me about this site & it sounded like it was right up my alley. I hope to meet some new friends that appreciate the same shows I like & hopefully get turned on to some "new" shows from the 80's and 90's that I missed. I love manga as well, but don't really have the funds or storage space for it anymore.

Some of my favorite titles include - Akira, Fist of the North Star (which I mostly forget now), Black Magic M66, Ranma ½ (early seasons), Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing(OAV, series, manga), Samurai 7, Neon Genesis Evangelion (series/movies), SDF Macross (and sequels) & Samurai Champloo.

Hope my intro wasn't too confusing, I'm sick and medicated today. :)
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Hello!

Post by Daniel »

Hey Patrick,

Glad to have you on board. Welcome!

I was intrigued about getting another member from Alaska -- I see now that we have Adam/Armblessed to thank for your presence here. ;)

I agree completely with your view of loving the hand-drawn style of the earlier shows.
Nortavlag wrote:I hope to meet some new friends that appreciate the same shows I like & hopefully get turned on to some "new" shows from the 80's and 90's that I missed.
I've got some videos up on YouTube in which I spliced together a ton of different 80's and 90's action anime clips. I don't know how well they turned out, but for checking out some "new" shows, you might want to take a look: http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimePast.

And of course, as for finding new friends who appreciate the older shows, you'll definitely be in good company here. Some of the members are into newer stuff as well, but we all appreciate the oldies.

Welcome!
Daniel
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Welcome fellow aging Otaku.
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

Nortavlag wrote:Some of my favorite titles include - Akira, Fist of the North Star (which I mostly forget now), Black Magic M66, Ranma ½ (early seasons), Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing(OAV, series, manga), Samurai 7, Neon Genesis Evangelion (series/movies), SDF Macross (and sequels) & Samurai Champloo.
You should check out "Code Geass", it's a bit more modern than 90s, but I think you'll like it. Also, Bubblegum Crisis (original, NOT "Bubblegum Crisis 2040") is a good one from back in the day that I think you'll like. Another one that's very tough to find but you'd probably like is "Battle Angel". (are they still printing the manga for that?)
Nortavlag

Post by Nortavlag »

Yeah, I thumbed through Battle Angel back in the day and it didn't grab me. Maybe it's time to give it another chance. I will definitely look into it with summer on the horizon, I need something to keep me occupied after my wife and kid fall asleep! (I'm a teacher mwahaha)
Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Post by Armblessed »

As a big Battle Angel Alita fan, I feel like I have to chime in here. It's really easy to find the older series still and I recommend at least reading through the fourth volume because the Motorball arc is super awesome. Yukito Kishiro is still currently doing the follow up series, Last Order and we get the translated volumes released here pretty quick. It's rather... meandering at this point, but I like the art a lot and its still fun, regardless. Though not my all time favorite, its still the only manga I keep current on.
Also, I'd recommend Redline. Its a 2009 film about futuristic race car(!) racing. It was a lot of fun and I felt like it hearkened back to an older era of anime. Best new anime I've seen in awhile, that's for sure.
Nortavlag

Post by Nortavlag »

True, you did mention Redline to me before. I've definitely got some catching up to do. I will give BA:A another chance. Last time I looked at it was in Ms.... Sci-Fi Lit teacher's class. :)
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Welcome Patrick!!!